Famicom game storage

Started by Atari1977, July 02, 2013, 07:35:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Atari1977

Hey just thought I'd share something I've started doing. I noticed that Famicom games are almost exactly the same size as cassette tapes with their cases. So for four bucks at a goodwill I've got a pretty convenient storage system for Famicom games. So while it won't work as well for taller games, it seems like it should work for most Famicom cartridge types.

UglyJoe

Yup, cassette storage units work great for normal-sized carts.  We have a thread showing off some other solutions:

http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=5460.0

FamilyMan

Perfect for travel. Your top games to play and a portable nes with extra space for powercord and batteries.

- Collecting should be about owning the games as much as playing them!

fcgamer

I bought some plastic units that I store in my closet.  They were meant for stationary and office supplies, I guess, but each one houses about 36 Famicom carts.  Can pull the drawers out and grab the games, but it is not always the easiest to find what I want...not terrible though.  Also has a smaller drawer where I stick some random game papers and stuff like that.  I am actually in need of a new unit, as I have gotten a lot of carts recently and need more space.  Pros:  Easy storage, cheap, efficient.  Cons:  not always easy to get the game I want, and not cool looking.

On another note, just want to say that I love senseiman's dish drying solution.  I might have to see if I can find something like that myself.

My only questions are #1:  How did he hang the unit (just nails/screws or something else?), and #2, would the unit be semi-stable in the event of an earthquake or something (sort of doubtful, I think).

I am in the middle of trying to redo my apartment, just clean things up a bit and make it look much nicer.  I have always been sort of artsy of a person, and like things to look really nice...but at the same time, I always felt that althought I collect the games, they can make things look cluttered, especially with storage.  Senseiman's solution provides a nice decorative, artsy display, yet also functions as well.  Perfect!

Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

security16

Quote from: fcgamer on July 03, 2013, 09:35:27 am
I bought some plastic units that I store in my closet.  They were meant for stationary and office supplies, I guess, but each one houses about 36 Famicom carts.  Can pull the drawers out and grab the games, but it is not always the easiest to find what I want...not terrible though.  Also has a smaller drawer where I stick some random game papers and stuff like that.  I am actually in need of a new unit, as I have gotten a lot of carts recently and need more space.  Pros:  Easy storage, cheap, efficient.  Cons:  not always easy to get the game I want, and not cool looking.

Get some recipe card things to list the names of the games in the order they are in the boxes at the front of each box so you know whats in each box and where it lives.

manuel

That's a nice suitcase.
I like the retro look.

fcgamer

Quote from: security16 on July 06, 2013, 04:46:51 am
Quote from: fcgamer on July 03, 2013, 09:35:27 am

Get some recipe card things to list the names of the games in the order they are in the boxes at the front of each box so you know whats in each box and where it lives.

That's a pretty good idea, and something I might do in the near future.  Gotta decide how I will organize the games now, probably by company.

security16

I have super organisational skills when it's not my stuff i have to organise :P
Maybe sort them by genre that way each box will have say fighters or rpg's or sports games or puzzles, that kind of thing. I spose it's just a matter of how your brain works to sort things

fcgamer

Quote from: security16 on July 09, 2013, 04:15:25 am
I have super organisational skills when it's not my stuff i have to organise :P
Maybe sort them by genre that way each box will have say fighters or rpg's or sports games or puzzles, that kind of thing. I spose it's just a matter of how your brain works to sort things

My problem with this idea is that then you have those games that are sort of a hybrid between different genres.  Then I never know what to do.

MS-DOS4

I have a similar setup to FamilyMan. It's an ancient audio casette suitcase and the cartridges fit quite nicely.

>>>Current Collection<<< Updated 8/20/2014

-Click here for Photobucket Collection-

L___E___T

July 10, 2013, 05:03:14 pm #10 Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 05:09:07 pm by L___E___T
These are what I use:

The middle one was a champagne box, it has the exact size for Famicom carts to line up in, with a bunch more sitting on top.  the front panel is a convenient sliding door.  I like my official carry cases but the champagne box keeps things more snug and I can store it vertically or horizontally depending on what works best.  It was my first solution and I bought the carry cases one by one when I ran out of space.  

I now need another, I want to get the official briefcase.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

GohanX

When I bought my house earlier in the year it still had the previous owner's stuff in it. Most of it was trash, but I did find a portable cassette tape holder that could hold about 40 tapes in it. Score!