Game Genie by Galoob

Started by horus, May 18, 2020, 05:17:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

horus

May 18, 2020, 05:17:43 am Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 05:46:02 am by horus
In a moment of tiredness I put the Game Genie cartridge upside down and the video interface slightly failed. So ok let's try to take a look at it all and I find these damned ASIC hybridizations .... total disgust for this low cost technology.

I sincerely thought that the Galoob made its products more seriously in dualine mode but by now the cheap mentality dulled his brainYou cannot see attachments on this board.

This company have invested in their time to create technology developed at Famicom but if this technology cannot be repaired it only serves for the garbage bucket

In your opinion, if I remove the chip with hot air and add dual-line chip by taking the contacts of the chip can something be recovered?

no more cheap products !!!

krzy

This one blob contains the Game Genie chip (DIL48) + PRG-ROM (DIL24). You would need to solder 72 wires, which I think is not good idea. You have three options:
* If the Genie is working, just the graphic is garbled, you can try do disable internal CHR-ROM and either
- solder new fresh CHR-ROM - 28 pins
- or just the combinatory logic that generates graphic using few gates (PPU-D7..D0, PPU-!RD, PPU-A13,A2,A4,A5,A7 is taken into account

* if you have access to the original Gallob Chip, it's more wise idea just to make new fresh PCB

* I am finishing my KrzysioGenie project with more features than original GameGenie, just wait a few weeks and I will be releasing it for sale.

horus

May 28, 2020, 03:22:26 pm #2 Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 03:33:33 pm by horus
the Genie is working, just the graphic is garbled,

How do you disable this internal CHR-ROM ?

Can you give me a diagram on how to place the new chip.....please !!!

Do I have to cut tracks to deactivate the damaged one?

many thank for your help !

horus

many thanks for this comprehensive answer...

Quote from: krzy on May 22, 2020, 04:02:26 amThis one blob contains the Game Genie chip (DIL48) + PRG-ROM (DIL24). You would need to solder 72 wires, which I think is not good idea. You have three options:
* If the Genie is working, just the graphic is garbled, you can try do disable internal CHR-ROM and either
- or just the combinatory logic that generates graphic using few gates (PPU-D7..D0, PPU-!RD, PPU-A13,A2,A4,A5,A7 is taken into account

* if you have access to the original Gallob Chip, it's more wise idea just to make new fresh PCB

* I am finishing my KrzysioGenie project with more features than original GameGenie, just wait a few weeks and I will be releasing it for sale.

horus

This one blob contains the Game Genie chip (DIL48) + PRG-ROM (DIL24). You would need to solder 72 wires, which I think is not good idea. You have three options:

Could you have a schematic on how to change?