Controller Enigma (Wires Colors)

Started by makabro, August 08, 2007, 01:24:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

makabro

Hi everyone!  ;D
I'm reparing an old Famicom Clone (check it in the pics) and i don´t know how to connect the Player 1 controller (it doesn't have one, so i have to buy one and connect it)

Basically i don't know where the wires go, and the color orden conecting to the mainboard (red, blue, yellow, etc...)
Is there any way to know how to connect them in the correct order?

I think you will realize what im talking looking at the pics.

Here is my Famicom Clone exposed

Player 1 mainboard pinout

Player 1 mainboard pinout back

Front of the mainboard

Complete Mainboard

Pad, wires, colors, and a lot of doubts

Another angle

Hope you can help me, and sorry my english, i speak spanish! :p

133MHz

I speak spanish too ;D

First check with a multimeter which wires are +5V and ground. Then you've eliminated 2 of the 5 possibilities.
So now you have only three wires left to connect in 3 slots.
Using combinatorics there are 3! (the factorial of three, not a three with exclamation :D) ways to connect them

3! = 3 * 2 * 1 = 6 ways to connect them.

Try all six of them until the controller works ;)

makabro

Cool! Thats a good way to identify 2 of 5 pins on the board, but still knowing all of them, I don't have a clue of which wire is which from the controller... do the colors mean anything or it's just a guessing game?

133MHz

+5V should be white and ground should be brown, but sometimes pirates don't follow the correct color scheme.
You can at least identify the ground connection in the controller PCB because it is shared by all the button pads.
I  think I've identified it by looking at the pictures - it's the second pin counting from the gloptop IC in the last picture (it goes to the IC and also to all the button pads, correct me if wrong). Check the color of the wire going to it and see if it's brown. If so, maybe the color scheme is correct. Good luck!

makabro

August 10, 2007, 11:18:19 am #4 Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 04:01:42 pm by makabro
Mmm y think you are wrong :S

GND is RED (it's is shared by all the button pads)

Counting from the "big black spot" the colors are: Yellow, Red (GND), White, Blue and Brown.

I hope this clue helps determinating the others...

Any idea  ???

EDIT: Yellow is 5v, but don´t know the others :S :S

133MHz

So the pirates didn't follow the correct color scheme, that's no surprise.

I'll look one of my Famiclone controllers (DB-9 style) to see if I can shine some light into the subject.

makabro

133MHz

Cool! Now knowing +5V and GND it's a matter of trying all six remaining wire combinations until the controller works ;D.