The Family BASIC manual translation project

Started by satoshi_matrix, March 06, 2008, 10:31:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

UglyJoe

Quote from: satoshi_matrix on April 09, 2008, 11:33:58 am
I'll add mine soon, and higher res then these ones. But thanks for the headstart!

If possible, could you scan the pages that deal with the SPRITE, DEF MOVE, MOVE, and POSITION commands?

manuel

There seem to be some introductional books and even comics on Family Basic.
Interesting.

http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e74525794
http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r45577710

I need to move to Japan FAST. :D

ericj

Anyone have any ideas how this project 's gonna get started?
If I knew Japanese and I'd be all over it  :-\

manuel

First all pages would have to be scanned and put up somewhere for download. ::)

I know Japanese and I'm all for it, but I have a job you know, and not so much time to put towards such a big project, especially with my upcoming move to Japan and my son deserves some of my time, too.
Plus, I'm a freelance translator and usually take money for translations.  ;) Something like translating a big manual of over 100 pages just for the sake of it has a very low priority for me now.  :)
If people (mostly JC  :D) ask me for small translations for the homepage or something, that's no problem, it's mostly over in 5 minutes.

Scorp.ius

Quoteand put up somewhere for download.

i have some webspace so i could upload the file for download ;)

Kuvio

Geez, I wish I knew more Japanese. I would be all over this translation, but I am only at an intermediate level with knowledge of about 1000 Kanji. I need to study more.

manuel

If you know how to search unknown kanji (which I'm sure you do), your knowledge should be enough already to translate this manual. It isn't that hard. :)

Kuvio

Oh really? I've never actually taken on a translation project before, but I'm sure I could understand most of it. That doesn't mean I am going to do it though, I am WAY too busy with school. (Yeah that's right school's over and yet I still have homework!)

G_P_T-0_1

Oh jeez, guys... I just bought a boxed Family Basic set at PAX in Seattle for 30 smackers and would love to see the manual translated, even if BASIC is BASIC is BASIC. Quite a bit of the guide is understandable enough, even for one with little Japanese reading skills, what with the BASIC syntax being all in English, and the keyboard supporting the full English language. Still though, I'd love to find out if there's any witty 80's Nintendo references tucked away in the pages.

I'll go ahead and scan this in with a goal of having it up by Monday evening.

There's still another day of PAX to get through tomorrow, and a VIC-20 that's calling my name something fierce.  :D

"In this world gone mad, we won't spank the monkey, the monkey will spank us!" ~Jay

G_P_T-0_1

D'oh!

Apparently a recent update of the ShareScan software on my copier broke LDAP support, which renders me essentially unable to scan today. I'll be spending the morning on with tech support to get this fixed.

I'll update when I have scans.
"In this world gone mad, we won't spank the monkey, the monkey will spank us!" ~Jay

vgthing

I haven't heard any news on this for quite some time.
If I remember, Manuel was the one doing it. I'd really like to see this completed some day. I have no doubt that he's been working on it, I just wanted to see what kind of progress has been made.

If anyone knows what's going on with this, I'd like to know... :)
I'M GIVE UP YOUR APPELLATION'S TECHNICAL MONKEY

UglyJoe

The last I knew, he has scans of the V3 manual.  However, the V3 manual only covers the new features in V3, not really how to use FB in general.  I don't think he has scans of the V2 manual.