Portable famiclone/famicom twin help

Started by Pandabard, September 03, 2010, 06:21:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Xious

Honestly, all clone systems that I've tried are rubbish. The Game Theory Admiral is a horrid piece of junk. Games crash constantly, or have glitched graphics.... And I mean common titles, such as MMC1 mappers.

The original PocketFami is the highest quality handheld clone, but it is out of production now. The system in your photos is often sold as a PocketFami (or Pocket Famicom), but I don't know if it is made tot he same standards of quality.

Here is the Wikipedia page for the original PocketFami unit by Gametech and here is a page (en Deutsch) with photos of it.

All clones suffer from graphics issues of some kind, and none of them will run either MMC5 games or produce extra sound from games so enabled (VRC6, for example), thus your only sure bet is some form of original hardware. Further, no clone is compatible with the PowerPak.

If your intention is purely to own a system for recreational use and you don't require portable hardware, it's not too difficult to buy and modify an original FC for A/V, assuming that you have decent technical skills, else pick up a Twin Famicom or New Famicom ('A/V'), as both have A/V out. If you want an original FC, then I strongly suggest locating a Hong Kong Edition Famicom (these are a legitimate Nintendo product), as they are PAL and you should be able to use it out of the box.

-Xious

Pandabard

September 05, 2010, 07:56:40 am #16 Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 08:07:19 am by Pandabard
Thanks for answering i think i will just get the hong kong famicom.Will probably be a twin or AV modded one though as it seems the hong kong one is popular and sold out on the site i found ):

would the JP version be okay to have though as long as i get a power converter and plug so it works in the UK? i was looking at this one here
http://gamedoctorhk.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=72_1_17_82&products_id=1074

Xious

Assuming your TV/Monitor can decode NTSC-J A/V signals, then yes. You may want to note that the  A'V modded Hong Kong Famicom is putting out NTSC-J A/V signals as well.

I suggested the HK FC (unmodified) as it has PAL RF out, but if you can use NTSC-J A/V, it doesn't matter which model you select. All A/V mods are NTSC-J, but if you are using a modern TV, then this shouldn't be a problem. You could also do a SCART mod, which will require replacing the PPU, if you fancy going that route in the future. I think that the HK version is also a slightly rarer system, if you are a collector.

(If you order a boxed unit and later want to sell the box and packaging/manual, please let me know. I'm seeking for a box and the appropriate inserts for my HKE Famicom.)

HKGamedoctor is an excellent company, in case you were curious, and they include 220VAC adapters with their systems, as I recall, so you'll be able to use it immediately. I recall HK using exactly the same power plug pin configuration as the UK, but at the most you may need a pin adapter, but not a voltage converter.  

-Xious