AV Famicom controller port questions

Started by cr4zymanz0r, September 03, 2010, 10:51:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cr4zymanz0r

Since the AV Famicom has the NES style controller ports, I have some questions about the functionality of them. I saw the mod to make an NES zapper work on controller port 2, so that's not an issue.

1.) Does the four score multitap work with NES games (when using a cart adapter)? I assume it would work fine for 2 player, but what about 3 or 4 player.
2.) Does it work with 3 or 4 player Famicom games (are there any)?
3.) If so on either of those, is the zapper mod a prerequisite for it?
4.) Are there any known mods for adding the microphone functionality back, whether it be modding the controller (preferred) or adding an actual microphone port to the console.

b1aCkDeA7h

1) You know, I use my FourScore to extend the length of the AV Famicom Dogbones but have yet to try a 4 player game, which I have.

2) I don't know if there's and 3-4 player Famicom games. I think there might be a 4-player adapter that plugs into the expansion port, but I've never actually seen one.

3) Since I already did the zapper mod, I won't be able to field that one.

4) I'd like to know that too, though since I've never found the answer, I just got an original Famicom.

Jedi Master Baiter

1. Yes
2. I don't know - I don't own any 4-player Famicom games (there is Nekketsu Dodgeball)
3. I don't know what you mean - are you trying to mod a four-player adaptor to work with a zapper?
4. That'd be interesting; but practical? :-\

Xious

1 - It should work with NES titles, but not with FC titles that are 3+ player, as these use the extra data lines on the DA-15 expansion port, whereas the Satellite and FourScore use data signatures over the standard 4021B shift register IF. There are some good articles on how the 4--player adapters work.. Please read this...
http://www.rahga.com/ffpa/

2 - There are a handful of three and four-player Famicom games. i think there is a five-player title as well.

3 - The NES 4-player adapters use the standard controller data lines. The Zapper mod shouldn't be required, as I remember.

4 - You can add the microphone control back into the New Type FC 'A/V' console by adding an additional circuit path connecting a designated pin on the second controller port to $4017.RD2 (pin 6 on the DA-15 expansion port) and using an original player-2 controller that you rewire to plug into the console. You have to make sure that you wire the microphone pin on the controller to the port connector plug as well. Alternatively, you can rewire one to plug into the DA-15 port directly or make a microphone 'paddle' that plugs into that port using the same data line.

If you wish to do the former, you'll probably need an extension cord for the NES controllers, as the standard port connectors only have live connections where they are normally used, if memory serves, and you will want to use an extra pin, so extension cords should have all of the pins wired.

Honestly, the EXP port is your easiest route, for it would require no hardware modification to your Famicom, and you won't conflict with Zapper mods; plus it is already set to use. If you need a pinout, let me know.

-Xious