September 16, 2024, 02:23:09 am

Honey bee adapter broken?

Started by elfmaster, April 22, 2011, 08:47:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

elfmaster

Hi guys,

I've been trying to solve this problem on my own from time to time (first time when I actually got it as a kid) and I finally recently -- again -- dug up my good old NES. Amongst playing the actual "proper" games, tried to solve the mystery behind my Honeybee adapter.

I decided to finally give up and ask here. :p

So, I have the Honeybee adapter (gold one) and two famicom games bought in '93 from Asia. I never got them to work as a kid and they have not worked to this day, ever.
My NES is a modded european console and works normally with other (european games).

Everytime I plug in the adapter-game combination, I just get the grey screen of nothingness. I Don't know if there's enough detail in my post yet, but I'll ask anyway.

What could I possibly do to maybe get the thing to work or to determine the cause for the adapter not working?

I've cleaned the game cartridges a few times and they don't seem scracthy anyhow. The adapter has also been cleaned.

Thank you in advance for any replies that may come!  :)

ericj

Like you said, your adapter is probably broken. You can take it apart and look for broken traces or solder joints.

Or, you can just buy a Famicom, famiclone, or even a different adapter.

elfmaster

April 22, 2011, 09:49:59 am #2 Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 11:43:07 am by elfmaster
Thanks for your reply ericj.

I have actually taken it apart and "reinforced" some of the solderings (if thats the proper word) on the circuit but without no luck.

Have you got some specific sites in mind to recommend where I could possibly find a working, non-expensive adapter these days?
I know there's ebay and other auction sites, but there they are usually sold for like 50$ a piece, if I'm not entirely mistaken.. ?

Post Merge: April 22, 2011, 11:43:07 am

Just to (maybe) boost this topic a bit: has anyone opened their (honeybee) converters ever and do you guys possibly have pictures of the contents what you've seen ?

As I have opened mine and googled dozens of times in hope of pics of other opened ones, I've only found  one opened Honeybee. I doesn't look like the one I have when it comes to the soldering and circuits.

If there's no success in reviving the converter or getting a replacement unit (for a decent price) do you forumites know if there's any monetary value to these famicom (pirates) at all ?

Parodius Duh

May 22, 2011, 06:18:30 pm #3 Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 06:25:24 pm by Parodius Duh
dont you have to put the famicom game on backwards on the converter? or is that only with action replay carts?

Post Merge: May 22, 2011, 06:25:24 pm

Quote from: elfmaster on April 22, 2011, 09:49:59 am

If there's no success in reviving the converter or getting a replacement unit (for a decent price) do you forumites know if there's any monetary value to these famicom (pirates) at all ?

depends on the carts....what are they?