Little mod I did to my Av Famicom

Started by Pikkon, November 22, 2011, 11:53:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lobdale

I'd enjoy sticking a couple red LEDs in my original Famicom to shine out the vents like was mentioned in here if anyone can provide some instructions for that.  Sounds like a neat project.

Xious

November 27, 2011, 03:46:41 pm #16 Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 04:03:58 pm by Xious
Attach one of the following to wire leads:

A 5VDC-set LED or;
A red LED and 150Ω resistor (or a resistor appropriate to your light temperature and power usage);

Solder wire leads to VCC and GND, remembering that the resistor belongs between VCC and the positive LED lead. (All diodes are polarized: The long lead is positive, and connects to VCC; the short lead is negative, and goes to GND.

Affix diffuser (and polarizer, if used) to underside of vents using clear silicone
----------->You may create a stencil insert between the diffuser and polarizer if you desire to generate a specific pattern..
Affix LED on edge of diffuser panel using clear silicone.

You can also skip the diffuser/polarizer fora very simple version that will have a hot-spot and emit light from a small portion of the grille.

Using a diffuser/polarizer will trap more heat in the system; because of this, I advise using a stencil and applying light to only a defined space, allowing some space for heat transference; if you use gauze as a diffuser with no polarizing film, then heat can still pass through. The system can generally handle running with a full polarizer and film, but you should only run this with a 9p10VDC PSU, and maybe an 8VDC PSU to reduce 7805 heat dissipation, although all components generate some heat. :bomb:

Polarizing film sources:
Bulk & custom polarizing film in sheets and rolls.
Square polarizin filtres on Amazon, as used on Gameboy lighting kits.
Small polarizers; same as Amazon, from Spectrum, for half the price per filtre.
Polarized Slides, for a small filtre...

LED Diffusers:
LED Diffuser material (as affordable sheets)

lobdale

Interesting!  Xious, sounds like you've done this before.  Do you have any pictures of what your finished product looks like when it's on?

NintendoKing

I like the glowing on button mod, but this glowing Nintendo logo is also very cool!

jpx72

February 12, 2012, 03:40:46 am #19 Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 05:15:58 am by jpx72
Just did one quick and dirty mod, I thought it will look better, but it isn't (don't pay attention to the dirt on my famicom):

Drakon