September 23, 2024, 07:41:43 am

Druaga

Started by Jedi Master Baiter, February 15, 2012, 01:52:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Jedi Master Baiter

My sleep schedule is all screwed up, so I decided to read this article now at 1:30 in the morning I saved earlier because I thought it was funny.

NTSC-uk Features > Druaga

I haven't really played much at all of this game, except for this. But from what this article mentions, it's a nightmare,& I don't want to really find out.

Is this exaggerating?

UglyJoe

No, the article pretty much nails it.  The game is a lot better than most non-Japanese critics think it is, though.  Most of them don't realize you're supposed to find a chest on each floor and collect an artifact, so their reviews sound like, "you walk really slow, combat is boring, you collect keys to open doors and progress up the tower, we didn't play past the second level, blah blah blah". 

I played it for a while and enjoyed trying random things on each floor to try and figure out how to make the chests appear.  I would often find the chest without realizing what I did, so I would write down what I thought caused it to appear, and would try it again the next time I was on that floor.  I found it interesting because it really makes you think of all the various things you can do given even a very simple game.  Like, I didn't just block an attack, I blocked an attack while walking, and, not just while walking, but while walking to the left, and, oh, I blocked the second enemy's attack after killing the first guy.  It's such a simple setup, but there are so many variables.  Maybe I'm the only one who finds that interesting :P

Check out Strategy Wiki's article on the game.  Their walkthrough tells you how to collect the items on each floor (spoilers!) and what various esoteric things you need to do to progress.

fredJ

February 15, 2012, 10:41:01 am #2 Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 10:46:40 am by fredJ
That article is about a sequal called Nightmare of Druaga, I don't know which game you are referring to in your question?

But concerning the original game, it is a nightmare. You see it next to my posts. I suppose I am a fanatical.
I haven't actually played it much though, but maybe some day when I get older, retire, I will have time at last.

Also, I also agree with what the article says about TOD. I wonder if it is possible for one person to beat the game, alone without any aid? To me, that's like solving the Rubik's Cube without any instructions.
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com

Jedi Master Baiter

Oh yeah, yes. I'm talking about Tower of Druaga, not Nightmare of...

so this is kind of like Little Red Hood. Only much longer.

fredJ

What an insult.... you are comparing a game that has sold millions and was relased to virtually every Japanese console with some cheap hack...? No, they are not comparable.  :-[

:D
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com

Jedi Master Baiter

Little Red Hood isn't a hack! >:( I think. :-\

And what does sales have to do with it? Lots of games I like are obscurities. ;D

Yelir

I'll have to throw this cart in next for an attempt at playing through. I thought it looked like a decent title, even before I heard of how cryptic some elements were. I'm not a big fan of arcade titles on the Famicom, so this looks like it has enough gameplay to hold my attention. :)

L___E___T

picture somewhat related

My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。