Famicom Remakes

Started by satoshi_matrix, August 24, 2007, 09:07:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

satoshi_matrix

I was playing Super Mario All Stars and realized that its essentually a collection of Famicom remakes. So on that subject, Famicom Remakes: identify what system they are for, what the remake game is called and maybe a bit about it for lesser known games. I'll start with all I can think of.

Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario USA
Super Mario Bros. 3       =  remake - Super Mario All-Stars (SNES) - possibly the best remake collection of all time?

Ninja Gaiden 1-3  = remake - Ninja Gaiden Trilogy (SNES) - a collection of the three Ninja Gaiden games that does very little to add much of anything to the games. Still is a nice game but its too bad its not as eye-poping good as Mario All Stars.

Rockman 1-3  =  remake - Rockman Mega World (Genesis) - a collection of the first three rockman games made more difficult and rased to 16-bit standards.

Metroid = remake - Metroid Zero Mission (GBA) - a complete overhaul of the entire first Metroid made much easier to play and just overall extremely better. Metroid is still an all time classic, but Zero Mission surpasses it when it comes to anyone wanting to fully experience the original game. 

Super Mario Bros. USA and 3 =  remake - Super Mario Advance 1 & 4 (GBA) - Remakes of each idividual game featured on the SNES, where were also remakes.

Umm my head hurts. I'll let you guys do the thinking!

Basically the point of this thread is to pool together what remakes are worth checking out or not.

133MHz

Nintendo Puzzle Collection (GameCube) = Dr. Mario (NES), Yoshi's Cookie (NES) and Panel de Pon (???). Nice graphics, music and in general it's pretty awesome. The bad thing is that it's a Japan only release AFAIK.

vealchop

WOW!! I never even knew about the megaman compilation! Its called Megaman: The Willy Wars if youre looking for the english rom. Got mine!  :D
-chop

satoshi_matrix

Quote from: vealchop on August 25, 2007, 11:52:58 am
WOW!! I never even knew about the megaman compilation! Its called Megaman: The Willy Wars if youre looking for the english rom. Got mine!  :D

That's Wily Wars. I donno how Wily is so often mispelt, either Willy or Wiley.. anyway about Rockman Mega World: Rockman Mega World was released in 1994 for the Sega Megadrive (Genesis) in Japan. It came out in Europe as Megaman The Wily Wars but had no North American release. The North American version was avalible for download on the short lived Sega Channel so there are no existing cart versions. The only way to aquire it if you live in North America is to import. I strongly recommend against the European Version for two reasons: PAL is incompatible with the NTSC Genesis, and if you can get it working with a converter it plays in like slow motion. If you don't beleive me download the rom and switch to NTSC (America) mode. The Japanese version still requires an adaptor (or a Gamegenie code) but it plays perfectly on a Genesis.

About it: Mega World is a remake of the first three games with 16 bit graphics and music. Some of it is totally AWESOME some of it is downright awful. The game features a battery save that saves once you beat each boss, like the password system in the Famicom games. You can even save in Rockman 1!  its not just a simple collection of three fantasic Famicom classics

Once you beat all three games, the game presents you with three more robots exclusively made for the game before fighting Wily once again. The coolest thing about this is that before you start each stage, Dr. Light offers Megaman to select eight weapons and three items from every weapon/item that appeared in the first three games! For instance, you can select Cutman's Rolling Cutter and then switch to Metalman's Metal Blade. Then start throwing Shadow Blades right after! Its really awesome.

FamicomFreak

Retro Gaming Life  www.retrogaminglife.com

vealchop

QuoteThat's Wily Wars. I donno how Wily is so often mispelt, either Willy or Wiley

^^^ Take it easy dude...

I just played the ROM and was pretty disappointed. For some reason its MUCH slower than the NES versions and that right there ruined it for me, messed up all the timing on my jumps and just wasn't as exciting. I was expecting the music to be a little better too, I dunno.
-chop

keiffer01

Final Fantasy 1&2 for GBA. Just bought it on special from Radio Shack for only 8$! ;D

satoshi_matrix

Quote from: vealchop on August 25, 2007, 06:44:46 pm
QuoteThat's Wily Wars. I donno how Wily is so often mispelt, either Willy or Wiley

^^^ Take it easy dude...

I just played the ROM and was pretty disappointed. For some reason its MUCH slower than the NES versions and that right there ruined it for me, messed up all the timing on my jumps and just wasn't as exciting. I was expecting the music to be a little better too, I dunno.

Yeah for some reason emulation of the game makes it run in like slow motion or something. It's not nearly as noticeable on the real hardware. Maybe try switiching emulators.

133MHz

Try switching between PAL and NTSC on your emulator.

vealchop

I'll try it, but I use "gens" which auto detects your region compatibility.
-chop

FamicomFreak

I think that castlevania chronicles for the ps1 is also a remake of a famicom castlevania I think ...
Retro Gaming Life  www.retrogaminglife.com

UglyJoe

Quote from: FamicomFreak on August 29, 2007, 05:39:40 am
I think that castlevania chronicles for the ps1 is also a remake of a famicom castlevania I think ...

It was actually a remake of the X68000 game.  See here.  The game itself is a bit of a redo of the first game, though.