Brazilian Original NES

Started by FAMICOM_87, March 12, 2023, 11:24:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FAMICOM_87

Check this Video! And the channel ! It is full of unusual interesting clones (Atari, Sega, Nintendo)  :crazy:
Brazilian Original NES Add on from 1994! "Nes-bra-01 K001121 F38"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEVtjmvXdOQ

adori_12

I had no idea the NES was officially released in Brazil! Technically the Famicom had been around for a while in Brazil thanks to the Gradiente system, but I see that luckily Brazilians had a chance to officially buy an NES. That daughterboard looks really interesting, I guess it's for converting an NTSC NES to PAL, but I wonder why they didn't use European NES systems to begin with which were already PAL.
And wow 1994, when the system was about to be discontinued. :o 
De todo un poco es el sabor de la vida, ida y vuelta en lo de siempre, empobrece y deja roto.

P

Brazil uniquely uses PAL-M which is the combination of system M (B&W TV-sets with 525 scanlines and 60 Hz v-refresh) and PAL color encoding. System M regions usually adopted NTSC when converting to color-TV, while PAL were used in regions that used the 50 Hz 625-line TV-sets. Vertical resolution and refresh are therefore both the same as for NTSC, and basically only the color encoding is same as PAL.

I guess since Brazil is the only place to use PAL-M it was easier to just use NTSC systems and convert the color encoding than to produce unique PAL-M NES systems like which was done with the PAL NES. The different refresh rate seems to be the main problem and which is probably why the PAL NES was made with a different and slower master clock, but PAL-M doesn't have this problem since it is 60 Hz. NTSC games should work fine with it (basically the only thing different with PAL games is that they may be programmed to run faster to make up for the speed difference, the color encoding is not a programmable part).