Dudes with Attitude is coming to the Famicom

Started by fcgamer, July 02, 2024, 01:22:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fcgamer

Dudes with Attitude is coming to the Famicom this August!!! Follow the link below if you'd like to preorder one, preorder folks also receive a full color guide book with strategies on how to solve each puzzle and complete each stage, written by myself. The guide will only be available to those who preorder this month, come August 1st no more guides, and I won't be releasing them elsewhere either.

https://www.maliscash.com/product-page/famicom-dudes-with-attitude-preorder

You can see the sample picks on the preorder page, there will be minor tweaks including the game's Chinese name...the name seen there was taken from a ROM site, but its name is not really suitable, hence we've got a much better title for our release.

Oh, and before anyone asks, yes, this is an authorized release, and yes the original author does receive royalties from it 🙂

In the upcoming months, we are going to have a few more releases like this on Famicom, for those who are interested.

A Bit of History:

I started collecting NES games back in 1998 or 1999, and it was around this time that I found Dudes with Attitude on NES at a Babbages, along with Tiles of Fate and Mermaids of Atlantis. I was just a teen then, but I honestly enjoyed the game and put quite some time into it.

Unlike some of the other American -developed unauthorized games of the time, this one never saw a Famicom release. As such I really wanted to see such a release, as it's a fun game, despite its bumps and warts. When I was 14 or 15 I could have never imagined being able to (re?)release this game, so I am really stoked about this. Comes with a large instruction manual too, about 40 pages, full color.
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

UglyJoe

Ooh, I have a soft spot for this game.  Pre-ordered ;D

I remember finding this at some department store (Sears, maybe?) some time after the NES's heyday.  One of the first video games I bought with my own money, IIRC.  The graphics are very homebrew but the puzzles were good later on in the game.

Really cool that you reached out to the author to make everything official, too.

zombie343

Before I purchase, what language will the guide and game be in?

Also, I just tried it ...and I'm so bad at it ...but it makes me want to play it more!

fcgamer

Quote from: zombie343 on July 05, 2024, 03:52:02 pmBefore I purchase, what language will the guide and game be in?

Also, I just tried it ...and I'm so bad at it ...but it makes me want to play it more!

Hey, thanks for the interest! Everything is going to be in English, though occasionally there will be some bits of Traditional Chinese on the box / manual, since I plan to promote this game in Taiwan as well.

The game isn't for everyone, but it gets addicting. Similarly, although it might not seem like it at times, it is quite fair as far as the learning curve go. When testing some prototype PCBs for the game, I was forced to play through the whole game several times, and the stages got easier with each play.

I'm hoping to start writing the guide this weekend, I'm guessing that it'll be around 40 pages in length. I'll see if I can get an interview with the original developer to throw in the back of the book as well, though I can't promise it since I don't know if he'll go for that or not. Either way, the guide will cover all the stages, and have passwords as well for the stages.

Thanks for the interest!

fcgamer

Quote from: UglyJoe on July 03, 2024, 08:34:27 pmOoh, I have a soft spot for this game.  Pre-ordered ;D

I remember finding this at some department store (Sears, maybe?) some time after the NES's heyday.  One of the first video games I bought with my own money, IIRC.  The graphics are very homebrew but the puzzles were good later on in the game.

Really cool that you reached out to the author to make everything official, too.

Thanks! I'm planning to order parts this weekend, and then I'll start writing the bonus guide too. I'm going to get them professionally printed, so this will be a nice additional to complement the game.

I grabbed the game used as a teenager way after the NES's heyday, but I also put quite a bit of time into it then. Considering the game was developed by a two-person team, it's no wonder that it has such a homebrew feel - at the time and through the early 2000s, the game received a lot of flak for this, but I believe that now this would be an asset for many, given the popularity of homebrew.

At some point I'll do the sequel as well, but I'm not sure if I'll rebrand it as "Dudes II" or leave it as trolls. I really feel great about paying the original author too, as I have a lot of respect for these guys, and am happy that he was on board with the project, despite it being 35 years after the game was originally released.

Thanks so much for the support UglyJoe - really appreciated!