The King of Games!!

Started by vealchop, September 20, 2006, 06:25:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

featherplucknfilms

Yeah, I`ve been on the verge of clicking the submit button on a Retro Gamer subscription application a while now.  It`s so damn tempting.

SuperMarioBrosSuperShow

me too.  I would probably order a sample issue just to see what it is all about first.  Personally, the consoles I have the most interest in are Famicom (of course), NES, Atari 2600, and Atari 5200.  I really don't care about any of the 16-bit systems or really anything from the 90's for that matter.  Those consoles just don't have that retro appeal to me.  When I play the Atari Systems or Famicom, I get that sense of a nostalgic feel to it as well as the games being pretty good.  When I play SNES, Genesis, Playstation of Nintendo 64 I don't get that feeling.  They just seem dated to me.  They haven't aged very well in my opinion

satoshi_matrix

Anyone have a link to where I might be able to subscribe to that? I've seen it in high end book stores in Toronto for like $25 an issue, and never really considered buying it until you guys just brought it up.

satoshi_matrix

£80.00 =  $170.151 CAD

caugh  caugh....ouch. Then again, that's $13 an issue, which is much less than what they sell fro at the World's Biggest Book Store. I still might buy the mag.....does anyone know if the fees include shipping or is that added ontop of everything?

featherplucknfilms

Yeah, if you go to Barnes and Noble every month and pick it up, I think, it`s about the same price as a subscription.  Then you can pick and choose which issues you want since they definitely may cover a lot of stuff you`re not interested in.  For me, I love the late 80`s, early 90`s systems which do have a fair share of coverage but there are always articles I`m not interested in as well.  Of course that would be for any magazine but your talking about spending over $10 and issue then you start to get a littl emore picky about the content.  When the magazine first came out, they had so much coverage of systems like Sinclair, Amstrad, Spectrum (which imo sucked) but now after they changed publishing companies and editors it`s been more fair to all, however, that does mean that there is more coverage of later systems like N64. 

The publisher, Imagine Publishing, seem really great too.  The magazines have great art direction and always look fantastic.  I`d love to check out there other mags as well, has anyone read any of the others?  http://www.imagine-publishing.co.uk/   I did buy an issue of Games tm before, which is dedicated to new releases, and is also quite good. 

SuperMarioBrosSuperShow

Do they really sell Retro Gamer at Barnes and Noble?

vealchop

Ya but theyre like 13 bucks an issue. I like the magazine, but they cover a lot of stuff I'm really not into, like early computer games (amiga and stuff like that). Plus their famicom coverage never tells me anything I don't already know. Now THIS magazine looks like the SHIT:

CHECK THIS OUT

Now if only it was in English!  :D
-chop

kite200

french is like english only it sounds more retarded
i could probably read it even though i suck at french
ステキ

SuperMarioBrosSuperShow

is there only one issue of it?

vealchop

I think the magazine just started. I found out about it through this dude, who has a collection that makes my fucking blood boil:

http://f.heilig.free.fr/
-chop

SuperMarioBrosSuperShow

Those look more like graphic novels than a magazine  :D

Kuvio

Japanese goods like those are so high in quality, no wonder they cost so much. They're still overpriced though.

kite200

if you are talking about the shirts, yeah, but retrogamer mag is british. but i'm pretty sure you're talking about the shirts :)
ステキ

SuperMarioBrosSuperShow

Pretty much everything is overpriced in Japan.   My sister got me two keychains at an anime convention of a Famicom and ROB the robot, both imported from Japan and they were both 9 bucks a pop.  NINE BUCKS FOR A FREAKING KEYCHAIN!!  I'm glad I don't live over there with those kind of inflated prices