Satoshi Matrix's Bead Sprites

Started by satoshi_matrix, February 18, 2009, 06:00:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Medisinyl

March 19, 2009, 03:50:24 pm #75 Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 03:56:10 pm by Medisinyl
I had done a couple of these over a year ago now.  My girlfriend's younger sister had them, but I only had one small square to work with and made a segment of Pac-Man as one of them.  Will take a pic if I can find it....and girlfriend just found it  :P  pics in a few minutes...  It is not as good as SM's beadwork and was not done to be exact to the pixels.  However, my ghosts and dots glow in the dark  ;D

satoshi_matrix

Quote from: nintendodork on March 19, 2009, 03:03:28 pm
Yup, Missingno ...or "M" or whatever it's called...

It's pretty cool you made a glitch :D  I'm surprised, out of all the Pokemon...you choose Missingno :P

Missingno. is my favorite pokemon memory, so that's why I had to make it.

Blue Protoman

What is this missingno you all speak of?
BP's Domain
Visit my site today!
http://bpsdomain.b1.jcink.com/

turbo D

Missing No. is a glitch pokemon that you can catch after doing a few tasks (something like riding your bike around the island town a few times.) After you unlock him/catch him, your game cartridge will be glitchy. haha.
FC HVC-001 HC4593710 CPU-GPM-02 1989
FDS HVC-022 D1072158 FD7201P 6602 + new belt!
My FF setup!

133MHz

Also it multiplies your sixth item by 128. Ideal for having infinite Master Balls, Rare Candies or money (by multiplying expensive items like the Nugget and selling them at the shop).

nintendodork

Once, I caught him in Blue, and all my Pokemon faced backwards in battles, and their HP gauge went off screen and went straight through the opponent and their HP :P
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

nurd

...So why did it evolve into kangaskhan when it gains experience?

nintendodork

Maybe they were planning a pre-evolution to Kangaskhan..or maybe it was the result of a code that was activated when it gained experience?
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

satoshi_matrix

Quote from: nurd on March 22, 2009, 08:47:20 pm
...So why did it evolve into kangaskhan when it gains experience?

Missingno. does not evolve. The one you're thinking of is ▄█ 'M ▓▒. This gltich pokemon is not Missingno. but a different version that can evolve into Rhydon or Kangaskhan depending on the level it reaches when it evolves. This happens based purely on the programming of the original games. You see, the first actual pokemon hex values are that of Rhydon followed by Kangaskhan.  When ▄█ 'M ▓▒ would try to evolve, the game would automatically attempt to do turn it into a Rhydon upon level up. However, if its leveled up at level 1, it will then evolve with the hex value for the next pokemon, Kangaskhan. Following this logic, if some piece of code prevented the Kahngaskhan, it would become a Nidoran male, etc etc. 

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_by_index_number_(GB)

nurd

Oh. I guess I've had them confused for a while then :P
Does Missingno mess up your game as much as M?

133MHz

'M is worse than Missingno, but none of them cause permanent damage.

satoshi_matrix

Contrary to popular belief, ▄█ 'M ▓▒ is not any more harmful than missingno.  ▄█ 'M ▓▒ is merely just a different version. The original games have only a 151 Pokémon, but have 255 different hex values. The 104 values that do not correspond to any of the true 151 Pokémon are all therefore, missing numbers and thus are some strain of Missingno. This means that there are one hundred and four unique Missingno's in Red and Blue.

Of course, most of these are duplicates and more still can never be encountered using the old man trick and require forcing the game to encounter them through use of a gameshark or through hacking. Though not all of them, most of these other missigno's that you normally will never see besides hex 00 Missingno. [the one we've all known for years] and hex 1F ▄█ 'M ▓▒ [the other missignno.] are uncatchable and will cause the game to crash upon capture. However, since you cannot save after you catch any of these, they have no lasting affect and there has never been any evidence to suggest that any of the glitch Pokemon in Red & Blue, including these versions, will erase the SRAM data.

So in summery, Missingno. and ▄█ 'M ▓▒ are both benign glitch Pokémon. Because they have no appearance ratio or catch rates of their own, they both borrow data from other areas of the code, namely the hall of fame data and the sixth inventory slot. However, this is all they do. These specific glitch Pokémon have no other effect, harmful or otherwise. The only way you'll ever encounter any problems with the Red/Blue Missingno's is if you trade them to other versions such as Yellow. And even then, they'll just become different Yellow-specific glitch Pokémon and again will not erase the game.

133MHz

Something interesting to add:

Why does Missingno multiply your sixth item by 128?
Every Pokemon has a specific byte in memory used for storing if you have seen and/or catch it. Values are:

0: Not seen
128: Seen
255: Caught

This byte is probably derived from the original Pokemon's hex value (i.e. if you add 380 to the Pokemon's hex value you get its Pokedex byte, that way you can use a simple and elegant mathematical function instead of a huge lookup table to manage the Pokedex). So what happens when you encounter Pokemon #000? The function does its thing and yields a value outside of the Pokedex bytes area, and that value happens to be EXACTLY the quantity of your sixth item slot!

So, every time you see Missingno, the game writes a 128 into your six item's count (or 255 if you catch it) because that's what the Pokedex formula tells it to!

Now, the glitchy number is caused by the game trying to display a number higher than 99 inside a two-digit counter. When the tens digit surpasses nine, it starts to use whatever graphic tile comes next to it.

nintendodork

satoshi_matrix

Been a while, next batch of robot master portraits are done as promised.

Megaman 8!

Portraits of the robots from the PSX/SAT classic, Megaman 8.These are all custom sprites I made in the style of the older NES portraits. From top to bottom, left to right: Astroman, Tenguman, Frostman, Clownman, Swordman, Searchman, Aquaman, and Gernademan.

Note that although these are custom sprites, these sprites are color enhanced to reflect their original artwork and PS1 colors, not the NES color pallet. These sprites too the longest to produce each of any of my works so far.

Next will be Rockman 9 at last! Stay tuned!