Satoshi Matrix's Bead Sprites

Started by satoshi_matrix, February 18, 2009, 06:00:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

satoshi_matrix

February 18, 2009, 06:00:41 pm Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 12:20:10 pm by satoshi_matrix
Hey all, I've something that I think this community would be interested in seeing. Since I was a kid, I've loved craftwork. Making things out of wood, homemade christmas ornaments, that sort of thing. For about a year now, I've taken up a sort of unusual hobby. How could I combine my love of craftwork with my other favorite hobby - ratro gaming? The answer: fuse beads.

Fuse beads, a simple craft meant for children to create simple shapes, is based on a grid format, just as pixels are in sprites. Doing some guesswork originally, then finally getting serious with actual spritesheets, I've since made many sprites.

As most of you guys already know, I'm a huge Rockman fan, almost bordering an obsession. I'd like to show you guys what I've made! I've gone to great lengths to make sure that my sprites adhere to the NES color pallet as closely as possible in general (meaning they are never miscolored) but I also adhere to their original full-color designs, and recolor the sprites to match what they would look in in artwork as opposed to the limited amount of colors the NES could produce for them.

So anyway, without further ado, here's my sprite works! All images are clickable to see a larger version. Special thanks to 133MHz for explaining on just how in the hell to do this.

Bosses from Megaman 1. From left to right and top to bottom: Dr. Light, Rush, Protoman, Megaman, Roll, Cutman, Gutsman, Iceman, Bombman, Fireman, Elecman. Oilman and Timeman are missing as I don't have any sprites for them. Can someone here help?

Bosses from Megaman 2. From left to right and top to bottom: Metalman, Airman, Bubbleman, Quickman, Crashman, Flashman, Heatman, Woodman. Flashman, Crashman, and Bubbleman have been color enhanced beyond the capabilities of the NES color pallet. I based their proper colors on official character artwork.

Bosses from Megaman 3. From left to right and top to bottom: Needleman, Magnetman, Geminiman, Hardman, Topman, Snakeman, Sparkman, Shadowman. Snakeman has been color enhanced slightly by adding the red snake eyes he should have.

Bosses from Megaman 4. From left to right and top to bottom: Brightman, Toadman, Drillman, Pharaohman, Ringman, Dustman, Diveman, Skullman.

Bosses from Megaman 5. From left to right and top to bottom: Gravityman, Waveman, Stoneman, Gyroman, Starman, Chargeman, Napalmman, Crystalman.
Note that all these sprites have all been color enhanced beyond the capabilities of the NES color pallet. I based their proper colors on official character artwork.

Bosses from Megaman 6. From left to right and top to bottom: Blizzardman, Centaurman, Flameman, Knightman, Plantman, Windman, Tomahawkman, Yamatoman.
Again, note that these sprites have all been color enhanced beyond the capabilities of the NES color pallet. I based their proper colors on official character artwork.

Bosses from Megaman 7 FC. From left to right and top to bottom: Freezeman, Junkman, Burstman, Cloudman, Springman, Slashman, Shademan, Turboman.
Note that these sprites have all been color enhanced beyond the capabilities of the NES color pallet. I based their proper colors on third 16-bit sprites as well as official character artwork.

Bosses from Megaman 8 FC. From left to right and top to bottom: Tanguman, Astroman, Swordman, Clownman, Searchman, Frostman, Gernademan, Aquaman.
Note that these sprites have all been color enhanced beyond the capabilities of the NES color pallet. I based their proper colors on official character artwork.

Bosses from Megaman 9. From left to right and top to bottom: Concreteman, Tornadoman, Splashwoman, Plugman, Jewelman, Magmaman, Hornetman, Galaxyman.
Note that these sprites have all been color enhanced beyond the capabilities of the NES color pallet. I based their proper colors on official character artwork.

"I'm too sexy for 16-bit! I made this Splashwoman sprite  before Megaman 9 even came out! I just based it on screenshots!

I've got more, but this is all I'm doing to cram into a single post for now.

Let me know what you guys think!

manuel

UglyJoe

Wow, must have put a lot of time into that.  Looks pretty cool.

nurd

Neat!
Did you put them on one of those plastic trays what has holes for those to be on? I've never seen any of these that big before.

son_ov_hades

satoshi_matrix

February 18, 2009, 08:47:16 pm #5 Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 12:22:43 pm by satoshi_matrix
Time for more.

This is a series of various sprites. You've got a series of Tetris blocks, Bub from Bobble Bobble, Shantae from one of the GBC's best games of the same name, a custom made Zero Suit 8-bit Samus, Luigi, a ? Block and a Koopa troopa from SMB1, DigDug, The Wizard from my favorite childhood C64 game, and finally a bead sprite Famicom.

Various sprites. The bottom right sprite is suppose to be Spencer in Megaman sprite style, but it actually ends up looking more like Tomonobu Itagaki. 8)

Again, tell me what you guys think!

nintendodork

I liked the Magenemite and the Sock Mario, they're funny, but cool!  The ZSS is also well done for a custom. one  Nice job! :)
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

DDCecil

I had a friend make me some (he doesn't make them anymore, to my knowledge), and the same exact Mega Man sprite satoshi_matrix made. I also had him make these:

The Sophia Tank from Blaster Master/Meta Fight is my youngest brother's and the King Metal Slime from Dragon Quest is my other brother's X-Mas presents from last year.

satoshi_matrix

the P pouch is from Gun-Nac isn't it? Thats cool.

satoshi_matrix

February 19, 2009, 12:15:56 pm #9 Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 12:25:11 pm by satoshi_matrix
Okay, more sprites from me!

Sigma from Megaman Xtreme 1, color corrected to match his 16-bit sprite From MMX1.

More various sprites. This Link was actually from a stitch pattern for a pillow. Samus is from the Japanese FDS version of Metroid's save management system, Super Joe for Bionic Commando, and Sonic from Sonic the Hedgehog for the Gamegear. Sonic is too yellow for his own good, but it was done on a whim.  

My first true 16-bit sprite, Terra Branford, the main character and heroine of the SNES classic, Final Fantasy VI.

shoggoth80

Those look really cool. I don't have steady enough hands to do that kind of work. Example: When I paint, it's solid colors... no pinstripes on my motorbikes :P

nintendodork

Great sprites!  Might I suggest a little more detail in Link's eyes?  I don't think two blue dots suit him well :P  Just a suggestion though.  Great job :)
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

manuel

How about a nice Famicom World bead logo? ;D
Just thowing out ideas here.  ;)

nintendodork

That would be nice to put as a banner somewhere :D
Or, a big ol' Disk-Kun for the heck of it :D

satoshi_matrix

Quote from: manuel on February 19, 2009, 10:16:32 pm
How about a nice Famicom World bead logo? ;D
Just thowing out ideas here.  ;)

Hmmmm.......I might just do this! Does anyone have a Famicom and FDS icon? I think that there are some sprites in a few pirate FDS games if someone can provide me a .gif or .png screenshot. I'd like to do something special for you guys.