Satoshi Matrix's Bead Sprites

Started by satoshi_matrix, February 18, 2009, 06:00:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FAMICOMfag

Ever thought of taking a cool screenshot in game, like during a boss battle or something, preferably something memorable, and then making the WHOLE screenshot with fuse beads?

That'd be a hell of a work, but that'd make the coolest poster ever.

satoshi_matrix

Quote from: Rogles on March 01, 2009, 09:05:25 pm
Quote from: satoshi_matrix on March 01, 2009, 12:10:49 am
this also includes any sprites I've already made, if anyone wants to buy them. The larger ones I don't think I can sell easily though as they would need special packaging and shipping would probably be weirdly expensive.

What you could do is make the sprites in parts, and ship those. then the recipient just has to put together and iron the parts, and you wouldn't have to put the full thing in a large box.

This is a good idea so long as the person would want it done like this. Anyone interested in buying any sprites...?

Quote from: FAMICOMfag on March 01, 2009, 09:12:12 pm
Ever thought of taking a cool screenshot in game, like during a boss battle or something, preferably something memorable, and then making the WHOLE screenshot with fuse beads?

I've thought about this, but I don't have the resources to do something like that just quite yet. If I can make some money doing these projects, I might eventually be able to. I calculated it a while ago, but I think I remember a full scale screen 1:1 sprite project would be something like 14 feet by 13 feet. Not exactly small scale operations at all.

satoshi_matrix

March 01, 2009, 11:46:23 pm #62 Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 12:39:04 am by satoshi_matrix
Oh, and here's another Megaman game's portraits done.

Portraits of the robots from the last of the NES Megaman games, Megaman 6. From top to bottom, left to right: Blizzardman, Windman, Flameman, Plantman, Megaman, Tomahawkman, Yamatoman, Knightman, and Centaurman.

Note that these sprites are color enhanced to reflect their original artwork, not the NES color pallet.

With this, all six Famicom Rockman games have had their robot masters portraits done by me. Next up is Rockman 7!

satoshi_matrix

thegreatgonzo

They look fantastic! I have a lot of love for Rockman 6! 8)
Dance, puppets... dance!

manuel

Me, too. I also have a boxed Rockman 6.  8)

Nice work.

Just out of curiosity: What do those beads cost?

satoshi_matrix

actually, they're pretty expensive so I buy them mostly in bulk from direct. I generally pay about $120 for 16 bags of 6000. This does last me quite some time, so i haven't bought anything since the fall, so its not like you're spening money all the time. You can buy smaller amounts for less, but I made a conscious choice to make sure that when I do sprites, I can do them with the correct colors. Even so, I would like to sell some of my stuff to you guys. Would anyone like to buy some?

As I've said, everything I've made that you see is for sale as well as any custom order. I'm thinking to cover costs and maybe a little bit of profit considering the time/effort needed, most small sprites I'll sell for $4, maybe more or less depending on the specific one. The big ones I've made will all cost differently depending on the sprite. I'll ship worldwide with standard lettermail for $3. Shipping prices increased recently, so even though this is a lot, there's notta I can do about it. Even shipping within canada is expensive. 

These things really are cool to have hanging from your rear view window in your car, in a locker, wall decoration, or as gifts to friends or kids. If anyone is interested, PM me with what you want.

If you want a specific sprite made:
1. google yourself a spritesheet from a specific game. spritesheets should be .gif files already, but .png works fine too. make sure not to save the image as a jpeg at all costs.
2. If you can't find a spritesheet of a sprite you want, open up an emulator that has no graphics filter to soften the image and doesn't compress the image in any way. Press and hold Alt and press Print Screen, above the insert key on most keyboards. Then open mspaint or something and click paste. Save the screencapture as a .PNG file, NOT a JPEG. jpegs are useless!
3. open the spritesheet in paint, and cut out all the sprites that you don't want leaving only the one(s) that you do. resave it again as either a .gif or .png
4. email me the sprite at satoshimatrix@hotmail.com.

Seeing these in pics is great, but actually feeling them in your hands is a visceral feeling and makes your favorite Famicom graphics seem so much more real. Some argue that videogames are not art, but nobody can argue that this isn't art, since its art based on videogames!

satoshi_matrix

Well! It sure has been a while since I updated! As promised, I now bring more of my specialty: more Rockman sprites!

Portraits of the robots from the first SNES Megaman Classic game, Megaman 7. These are all custom sprites from Rockman 7 FC. I edited them in the style of the older NES portraits and recolored them correctly. From top to bottom, left to right: Springman, Freezeman, Slashman, Cloudman, Junkman, Turboman, Burstman, and Shademan.

Note that although these are custom sprites, these sprites are color enhanced to reflect their original artwork and SNES colors, not the NES color pallet.

Next will be Rockman 8 Metal Heroes. Stay tuned!

namakubi

Man these are awesome and are turning out really great. Keep up the good work! I second some Contra sprites, and suggest some Castlevania ones.

skyrunner14

I'm loving these bead sprites! You must have a lot of time on your hands to do this kind of stuff...  :o
Would you please sign my petition? Hopefully, it will get Another Code R released in America. The link is here: http://www.gopetition.com/online/28991.html

satoshi_matrix

I don't spend loads of time on these all at once. a few hours here and there over the course of a few weeks generates a new Rockman portrait set. Since I only have Rockman 8 and 9 left to do, I'll soon be switching focus from the Rockman themed sprites to others.

satoshi_matrix

March 18, 2009, 11:24:20 pm #71 Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 12:34:13 pm by satoshi_matrix
here's another sprite I made. A cookie for anyone who knows what this is.

DDCecil

I'm guessing that's MissingNo from the Pokemon games? BTW, did you ever get the reply e-mail I sent you? If not, I can resend it.

Rob64

I agree, I think that's MissingNO.
Now you're playing with Power

nintendodork

Yup, Missingno ...or "M" or whatever it's called...

It's pretty cool you made a glitch :D  I'm surprised, out of all the Pokemon...you choose Missingno :P
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat