Satoshi Matrix's Bead Sprites

Started by satoshi_matrix, February 18, 2009, 06:00:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Medisinyl

Does anyone know if there is a shade between grey and dark grey (Perler) from any of the brands?   I have tried searching, but can't find anything.  I'm in the middle (more like 1/5-1/6) of doing the Rad Racer Ferrari and want a slightly darker shade of grey (than regular grey) for a more realistic wheel modification and need both shades (the dark grey is too dark).  Thanks if anyone knows that does this stuff around here.  I got my package of beads in earlier today and have spent perhaps 2.5 hours on the car already.  If there was something I could order I would wait to switch them out before ironing (as this is going to be quite large).  Had 9 boards and just bought 6 more locally (hoping that will be enough--I'd rather not piece anything together).  And nothing at Michael's was the color I am looking for. 

satoshi_matrix

I've PM'd you the info since I dont think anyone else here can help you there besides me :p

Medisinyl

April 30, 2009, 12:19:08 am #167 Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 12:31:25 am by Medisinyl
Thanks.  I don't see a PM yet, but perhaps it is coming.  I understand that different brands have some different colors, so I was hoping there might be something with a weird name that happens to be close to what I want... if not, then I'll have to make do with what I have.  I've got more than 50% done now and may need even more than the 15 boards I have already (another pack of 2 would do it for sure if it comes to that). 

And I figured I'd post here instead of a PM as I knew you'd see it either way, and on the off chance someone else knew, then they'd see it here too. 

EDIT:  I just got your message--knowing that Hama and Perler don't fuse well is great information as that would have been a big disappointment if I waited to order them.  The car is looking great so far though.  I altered the shape of some things to look more like a real 328 already and it is far superior to the actual sprite--I think some things were done due to the 8-bit limitation and the I've modded the wheels to look more like the real stock 328 wheels, but I haven't done any drastic color adding/changing as I still want it to look like the Rad Racer car for the most part.

I've been taking progress shots, so I may upload them soon and make a thread.  My girlfriend made something I'm not familiar with from a TV show and I may post that too.  I plan to do another large piece next including Lala from the Lolo series, but am already seeing a potential color availability issue.

Thanks again Satoshi--you've been a huge help this far--especially in instructing me on how to properly pull the sprites from a rom (I am able to get them from Nesticle easily--I wasn't having much luck with JNES). 

satoshi_matrix

May 05, 2009, 12:04:13 am #168 Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 12:45:18 pm by satoshi_matrix
Been a little while since I posted new stuff, so hereeeeeeee you go! first, lets start small.

The P-38 Lightening American fighter made famous from World War II and even more famous by the classic 80's Capcom arcade shooters, 1942 and 1943.  I edited the colors slightly to better reflect what P-38's actually looked like.

Auto is the assistant Dr. Light built to replace his former robotic assistant, Rock, whom was converted into the fighting robot Megaman to fight the forces of Dr. Wily and defend justice. Auto appears in a cameo in Megaman X3, making him the only canon classic series character to have survived into the 22nd century. However, this would make Auto over one hundred years old and many fans consider his presence non-canon by virtue of how silly it would be that minor character Auto outlived everyone else. Sprite is slightly color enhanced from Megaman 9.

And finally.......

Ah at long last, the robot masters, called Star Droids, from Megaman V on the Gameboy.

From left to right, top to bottom:
Mercury, Venus, Neptune, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Terra, and Pluto.

As the Gameboy was black and white and even with Super Gameboy Support, the spirtes lack any color, these sprites were painstakingly recolored by hand to reflect their original full-color artwork, making them appear as if they were enhanced NES sprites. As a bonus I've included the original sprites below just so you can see how many work needed to be done! [Side note: I changed Saturn's left arm slightly from another frame because I liked it better. Other than that, I made no changes.]

manuel

May 05, 2009, 12:29:33 am #169 Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 04:30:32 am by manuel
Those robot masters look great! Good job in appropriately coloring them. Nice.  ;D

Medisinyl

Agreed.   Your color choices are great.  As before, I really like these enhanced game boy sprites you're doing. 

satoshi_matrix

Thanks everyone! Megaman V GB is often overlooked and forgotten where its one of the better Megaman games and definitely one of the best Gameboy games. Its the only Megaman classic game where Wily isn't the final boss!

Heres a new one. I love Kirby, you love Kirby, so here's another Kirby sprite I don't think anyone has done!

Bartender Kirby prepares your drink shaken, not stirred. This awesome portrait is a custom color enhanced portrait icon from Kirby's Adventure. Credit for the sheet goes to Drshnaps. More megaman classic next!

japanfreak

How much is the kirby one shipped to holland?

nintendodork

That..is...AWESOME!!  I love all the emotions Kirby has and how he shows them on his face..it's just so funny!
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

LocalToast

Rogles

( ยด_ゝ`)

satoshi_matrix

Okay time for a business post. Although it isn't my primary focus by any means, if you guys are interested in buying some sprites, then I'm interested in selling them.  I'll also post this is buy/sell/trade as its relevant there as well.

To prevent "how much for that" questions, I'll add prices next to each of my sprites from now on. Regarding that Kirby portrait, it measures 15.8 x 19.8cm [6.2 x 7.8"]. I'll sell for $12 standalone plus shipping. Shipping for all but the biggest of the big sprites is very cheap - almost always under $5. For those who do want to buy, I do encourage multiple purchases. Shipping charges can be absorbed together and I give slight discounts per item the more you buy. Plus, I'm always open to custom orders. I'll gladly take a look and most likely be able to accommodate your order. I accept money order and paypal. Email me your orders at satoshimatrix@hotmail.com. I'll do my best to get back to you as soon as I can.

New! I've gone back and added sale prices to all my sprites. To quickly browse them, visit my flickr page, here. http://www.flickr.com/photos/30701966@N04/. Once there, flick the descriptions and you'll see a price without shipping, in USD, at the very end.

Thanks for the interest everyone! And if your a flickr member, please feel free to leave comments on my page!

japanfreak

$12 dollar is to much for me:P sorry:(

Medisinyl

Quote from: japanfreak on May 07, 2009, 11:44:01 pm
$12 dollar is to much for me:P sorry:(

Considering the time and material cost of placing those 1280 beads for Kirby, it would cost someone else more to buy the beads and make it themselves, so it isn't an unreasonable asking price.  While I agree $12 + shipping sounds expensive for such an item, having done these myself, he is really only breaking even at that price (it may not look like 1280 beads, but it is, and that takes some time). 

manuel

That's more than 10 beads per cent.  :o Considering that it's f***ing cheap.