Best / favorite Famicom Disk System (FDS) games

Started by super56k, October 20, 2006, 04:09:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

super56k

Allright, I will be obtaining a Famicom Disk System within the next couple of weeks.  By then, my replacement Famicom should be here.  The problem is, I have no FDS game cards.  I want a game to play and test my FDS.  So my question is;

What is a good FDS game?

Remember, the FDS is costing me a pretty penny, and shipping is high, so I can't afford anything too pricey for a while.  That means games like "Super Mario Bros. 2" and "Castlevania Dracula" are pretty much out of the question.  Don't even mention "All Night Nippon Super Mario Bros."
I am currently working on a homepage...  details to follow.

super56k

Quote from: Jedi QuestMaster on October 21, 2006, 12:34:43 am
Doki Doki Panic?

Quote from: featherplucknfilms on October 21, 2006, 03:03:39 am
vs. excitebike!

Those are both good suggestions.  I have never played "Vs. Excitebike", but I do love "Excitebike".

featherplucknfilms

vs. excitebike is just like the original but you can play 2 players simultaneously  ;D

featherplucknfilms

Oh I just thought of another one, Nazo no Murasumejou is a great Japan only release!

Doc

Doki Doki Panic
Tama and Friends
Exciting Basketball
Metroid
Zelda/Zelda 2
Return of the Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros 2j
Michael English Adventure (That cat is so addicting to beat up LOL).

super56k

Quote from: featherplucknfilms on October 22, 2006, 03:44:20 pm
Oh I just thought of another one, Nazo no Murasumejou is a great Japan only release!

I found this on the "Nintendo Database":
http://www.nindb.classicgaming.gamespy.com/nes/nmj.shtml
Looks like a fun game.  Interesting that it was also released on the GBA "Famicom Mini Collection".
I will have to find a ROM so that I can try it out.

Quote from: FamicomJL on October 23, 2006, 11:32:14 am
Doki Doki Panic
Tama and Friends
Exciting Basketball
Metroid
Zelda/Zelda 2
Return of the Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros 2j
Michael English Adventure (That cat is so addicting to beat up LOL).

What is "Michael English Adventure"?  I could not find any descriptive results for it on Goggle.
If it is an English teaching game, like I would assume, then that sounds like it could have alot of fun potential.  That is unless, of course you have to be able to read  Japanese as well to play it.

Open question:  I would think that carts would be alot more durable than magnetic disks.  Do FDS game have alot of trouble?  Do they decay quite a bit?  I noticed the FDS error section of  "Famicom World".

Doc

It's an English teaching game where you're a cat who has to find the letters and spell out words. Hit the wrong letters and it makes the funniest movements. It like dances until you find the right letter.

super56k

Quote from: FamicomJL on October 23, 2006, 02:05:52 pm
It's an English teaching game where you're a cat who has to find the letters and spell out words. Hit the wrong letters and it makes the funniest movements. It like dances until you find the right letter.

That sounds like fun.   :)

Rockard

December 05, 2006, 07:13:48 pm #9 Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 07:34:21 pm by Rockard
I couldn't find such a thread, so Ill start one!
In this thread, recommend games that aren't released on other formats than FDS!

Ill start with this:
Knight Move!
click

Grab this game!! (NO it is not my auction)

While it may look like a chess game by first glance, its an intense puzzlegame!
The 2 player mode works very well. You jump your horse around a rectangular chesstable, chasing the hearts.
When you stomp on the chesstable, the bricks under you fall off.

Vs Excitebike - Just like excitebike, but it feels more fleshed out with some nice tunes, better title screen and cutscenes and a 2player mode!

Nazo no Magazine Disk - Nazoraa Land - 3 disks exists (SSD-NZB,SSD-NZC,SSD-NZL)
It's collections of some tiny fun games!
Some info from a japanese wikipedia:click

Found one of them on ebay: click

madman

VS Excitebike is awesome.  The 2 player mode is a little messed up since the bottom player can jump into the upper player's screen and I don't think the overheat bars are in the best location.  The 1 player mode is way better than the cart, though. 

vealchop

Can anyone point me in the direction of an FDS ROM for Vs. Excitebike  :-X
-chop

JC

Doc

Quote from: Jedi QuestMaster on December 05, 2006, 09:11:44 pm
I'll second, or third, VS ExciteBike.

Was Return of Mario Bros. FDS only?

Later copies of Mario Bros. in Europe released it.

keiffer01

June 26, 2007, 09:17:17 pm #14 Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 03:50:36 pm by keiffer01
Kid Icarus and Doki Doki Panic! ;D