September 19, 2024, 05:08:46 pm

Sega Genesis

Started by nintendodork, June 27, 2009, 09:25:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

UglyJoe

Quote from: TanookiSuitSam on July 15, 2009, 01:56:00 pm
None of them are really worth playing at all.

Wrong.  There are a couple of games that are worth playing.  And they're pretty cheap since everyone thinks like you do.

FamicomFreak

I saw the 32x is worth it. I just got one last week and have been having so much fun with Doom 32x. I'll have to check out other games as well!
Retro Gaming Life  www.retrogaminglife.com

TanookiSuitSam

Quote from: UglyJoe on July 15, 2009, 02:11:55 pm
Quote from: TanookiSuitSam on July 15, 2009, 01:56:00 pm
None of them are really worth playing at all.

Wrong.  There are a couple of games that are worth playing.  And they're pretty cheap since everyone thinks like you do.

That's all a matter of opinion. I personally dont think Knuckles Chaotix, Virtua Fighter or Star Wars arent worth the cash. I also heard that the cable that hooks into the Genesis and 32x are a pain to find so I'd rather not even try it.

Quote from: FamicomFreak on July 15, 2009, 02:17:30 pm
I saw the 32x is worth it. I just got one last week and have been having so much fun with Doom 32x. I'll have to check out other games as well!

I can play Doom on my computer. It's a lot more fun on the computer since the quality and music don't suck.
hi

nintendodork

Quote from: TanookiSuitSam on July 15, 2009, 06:21:13 pm
That's all a matter of opinion. I personally dont think Knuckles Chaotix, Virtua Fighter or Star Wars arent worth the cash. I also heard that the cable that hooks into the Genesis and 32x are a pain to find so I'd rather not even try it.
You don't think any of those games are worth $1.50? ::)  32x games aren't hard to find at all.  I've also seem 3rd party connector cables on various sites for around $7 a pop, so that, other than the systems themselves, will be the most expensive part of most of your Genesis collection in general.
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

TanookiSuitSam

Yes they aren't worth my $1.50 . I can get better games with the 1.50 combined rather then waste them on crappy games. :P

As the cables go, well that does seem to be a lot better. A while ago I remember those third party cables were none existant.
hi

FamicomFreak

Wow first time I heard of the 3rd party cables. I wouldn't have gotten the 32x unless I got a good deal on it which I did and I got the 32x game doom for 95 cents better than spending 1.50 right? I didn't even knew I got a 32x with the genesis console since it was wrapped up with a lot of tape so it was luck after all. I did tried the so called cult classic Night trap which also cost me 95 cents. I wouldn't have paid full price for these titles to begin with har har har. I only think a 32x is worth it if you get a sweet deal on it.
Retro Gaming Life  www.retrogaminglife.com

EarthwormJim55

i have a genesis 1 and 2

Jollie

same here but im selling one of my sega genesis model 2s and my genesis 1 and buying a hi def graphics version of the genesis 1 with the ext port. and i might get a 32x boxed copy of doom and a sega saturn this friday.
Great Fox will cover you.

nurd

Somebody should buy this Sega Genesis.

Seriously. ._.
I'm out of money and i dont like the model 2.
if somebody from this forum buys it I'll throw in an extra controller.

End of advertisement. >_>

What's this about a hi definition graphic version?

Pikkon

I got one of the hi def graphics Genesis.

The first model 1 Sega Genesis say high definition graphics right on them,plus there missing the TMSS at start up,the later model ones don't say high definition graphics and is missing the useless ext port.

More info here.
http://reviews.ebay.com/Sega-Genesis-Buying-Guide-PT-1_W0QQugidZ10000000009836495

Jollie

HIGH DEFINITITION GRAPHICS MODEL
TMSS-equipped Genesis Model 1s have a shorter FCC ID. Some people are especially picky if their Genesis Model 1 has TMSS or not. For the tech savvy, Non-TMSS consoles contain motherboard revision VA0-VA4, and TMSS consoles contain motherboard revision VA5 or VA6.

Video encoder/video quality: All High Definition Graphics Genesis Model 1s sport either a Sony CXA1145 or Fujitsu MB3514 video encoder. This generally results in slightly blurry Composite video, but the colors are vivid and the image is clear. However, Non-TMSS High Definition Graphics Genesis Model 1s have a slight issue with "rainbow banding," where you'll see bands of rainbow colors on the screen. This isn't very noticeable, so it's easily ignored.

Sound circuitry/sound quality: The High Definition Graphics Genesis Model 1 uses 2 separate sound circuits for Mono and Stereo sound. Those circuits filter the sound a little, producing very high bass. The quality of the sound output is phenomenal.

NON HIGH DEFININTION GRAPHICS MODEL
Pretty much as the name describes: a Genesis Model 1 with "High Definition Graphics" removed. Like with the High Definition Graphics model, two variants of the Non-High Definition Graphics model exist, and you must be made aware of how to tell them apart, as one of them is a real stinker.

Here's how to tell them apart. First, keep the hookups of the High Definition Graphics model in mind:

the hookups placed exactly like the High Definition Graphics model, but the hole where the EXT port is supposed to be is covered because the port is removed. This has a VA6 motherboard with the EXT port and all surrounding circuitry removed.

But this is the one to watch out for
STAY AWAY FROM THIS MODEL! This is the dreaded Genesis Model 1 with a VA7 motherboard. Have a look at the "Sound circuitry/sound quality" section.

Video encoder/video quality: It's the same deal like the High Definition Graphics model with TMSS.

Sound circuitry/sound quality: The VA6 Non-High Definition Graphics Genesis Model 1 uses the same sound circuitry as the High Definition Graphics model, resulting in crisp, high-bass sound output. The VA7 is an entirely different story: it uses a completely different sound circuit that results in really nasty sound. It sounds like an emulator's sound quality was set to the lowest possible setting; it's flat, muffled, distorted, and worst of all, there's an annoying hissing sound in the background(static).

(copied from sega-16 forum)

Rogles

Oh,, that's what that means? Cool, I have the Hi-definition one.
( ยด_ゝ`)

Toneman

Same here. I never knew about these differences all throughout the 90's
Instagram: Kokujin804

Jollie

so i bought another sega genesis today and it turns on but the  picture does not appear on the screen the switch is on the right channel and everything looks intact. but is just comes up black. any help?

133MHz