Portable famiclone/famicom twin help

Started by Pandabard, September 03, 2010, 06:21:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pandabard

September 03, 2010, 06:21:16 pm Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 01:16:43 pm by Pandabard
Hey, just joined because it seems this forum may be able to help me.(I have never owned a famicom or a famiclone before)
Okay so i have been wanting to buy a pocket famiclone and was basically wondering if the one i have seen is any good i have some photos of the box.

http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/ii176/bigpinkpanda/?action=view&current=ConsE061a.jpg
http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/ii176/bigpinkpanda/?action=view&current=ConsE061b.jpg
http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/ii176/bigpinkpanda/?action=view&current=ConsE061c.jpg

So i just want to know if this is a good one to get. If its rubbish then maybe you could suggest one even if it is not a handheld, although i would prefer a handheld so i can play it on the car/train/bus journeys (i live and UK and so my TV is PAL just in case that helps), also it may seem silly but do i do not really want one with a ps1 style controller i would rather it was shaped like the original famicom controller.

MS-DOS4

I know you won't like this answer, but you could try getting a DS or PSP. You don't have to worry about interchanging cartridges. Also higher quality screen. Portable famiclone units are pretty iffy IMO.
>>>Current Collection<<< Updated 8/20/2014

-Click here for Photobucket Collection-

Pandabard

Thanks for answering to be honest i am glad i found out that portable units are not to good before i purchased it lol.If anyone has one and its any good please tell me, If not can anyone tell me a good famiclone that does not have PS1 shaped controllers because they really put me off to be honest ): or should i get a famicom with AV?

Jedi Master Baiter

Or go a lower route, GBA.  I haven't tried a GBA flash cart yet, though. :-\

I used to be interested in portable FC/NES systems.

In the end, the only thing I considered buying was a custom made hack like Ben Heck's:

http://benheck.com/Games/Book_projects/Book_projects.htm

But they were relatively expensive & hard to come by (I don't think Ben Heck sold his).

Pandabard

Luckily i have a gba and ds   :D i think i may get some of the famicom mini series. However i still really want a famicom or a clone because i really want to play on one because i prefer to play on an actual console with cartridges rather than an emulator.

MS-DOS4

You could get a GBA cart, but do GBA nes emulators support smooth scaling? I bought a GBA multicart with NES roms and they were scaled in nearest neighbor.

Pandabard

September 03, 2010, 06:45:37 pm #6 Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 07:20:44 pm by Pandabard
only thing is are gba flash carts legal i have a guilty consience :-[.even if i get one i would still like a famicom/clone

Jedi Master Baiter

Most anything involving roms isn't legal.

The problem with clones is finding one that does what you need.  I haven't read a perfect review yet, but here are some that I looked into:

Game Theory Admiral
Game Axe (of course)
Those NES-on-a-chip N64 Controllers

& one I just found:

FC Mobile (2)

133MHz

But who says that a GBA flash cart has forcibly to involve copyrighted ROM images? I recall that you could use them to listen to MP3s, watch videos, read ebooks, run homebrew software and a bunch of other neat stuff.

nintendodork

^That's exactly how I view flashcarts and jailbreaks.  They're only illegal if you want them to be.
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

Jedi Master Baiter

Okay, wiseguy!  Emulators & torrents aren't illegal either but we all know what we do with them.

MS-DOS4

Also I really wouldn't worry about the FBI busting down your door for some roms.  ::) ::) ::)

Pandabard

meh im just going to get some of the famicom mini series for long journeys.
However i have decided that i am going to buy a twin famicom, Is there anything i have to do to set it up on my pal tv i am pretty sure it has NTSC Playback, but will i need anything else to set up a famicom in the UK?

Jedi Master Baiter

Do the Famicom Mini Series fix the aspect ratio, or is it typically squished, like with the NES Series?

MS-DOS4

well you'll need a power converter and plug for your European outlets, and I think that the Gba Famicom is exactly the same as the NES series. I don't see why it wouldn't be.