September 27, 2024, 04:23:38 pm

Twin power

Started by Nickv, January 11, 2007, 07:05:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nickv

Hey guys!!!!
Im anticipating my twin system coming tomorrow or atleast on monday. I know it doesnt have the power adapter. Is it the same as a regular famicom or disk system??
Im reciving both a disk system power adapter and a famicom adapter soon so do any of those work or do i need a special one.
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

featherplucknfilms

There's a different one for the Twin Famicom.  The specs on it are AC100V 50/60Hz 21VA  DC7.6V 1.25A   negative outer polarity(opposite of Nintendo).

Nickv

Does anyone have an extra ac for the twin system they can sell me ?

psychoant

I just used a transformer since I live in a PAL area which has 220volts.  :P

super56k

Quote from: Nickv on January 15, 2007, 09:46:46 pm
Does anyone have an extra ac for the twin system they can sell me ?

I believe that RadioShack sells universal adaptors through their catalog.  They have interchangeable tips and selectable voltages.
I am currently working on a homepage...  details to follow.

chimyfolkbutter

Twins pose an interesting problem in that the voltage is a non standard 7.6v.  Most adapters supply 7.5 volts.  I would be very careful and not use a 7.5v as it could damage the Twin. 

I have to take apart my twin and see the voltage regulator being used on the board.  I'll report back  what I find.  If I can get the spec on the regulator, I can look up its operating characteristics.

-CFB

madman

A difference of .1v won't harm anything, there is more drift than that in official power adapters.  Take 3 different 9v adapters and measure their output with a meter, you'll get 3 different voltages.

chimyfolkbutter

I got curious.  I measured the voltage off my famicom twin adapter.  It reads 12.3 volts!  I have been using it for a year.  So, if you need a power adapter, go to walmart and get the powerline adapter 3-12 volt.  The adapter is rated 1300ma.   Remember, the Twin need center tip Positive!

I couldn't figure out what the voltage regular was but it is succesfully regulating at an input voltage of 12V.   I tested my Twin using 9v.  It works great.  I chose 9v so the Regulator didn't have to work as hard.

-CFB

madman

The best thing I ever purchased was a Nakitech AC adapter many moons ago when Babbage's stores still existed here in the US.  It has I think a couple selectable voltages, selectable polarity and 4 different plugs on it.  I've never found a console that it won't power :)

Don't be scared to try out different adapters on your consoles, they are built pretty tough.  As long as you aren't putting anything above 12v into one, you probably won't do any harm.  Most consoles should have diodes to prevent frying from reversed polarity and voltage regulators were designed to take a range of input voltages...otherwise they wouldn't be in there :)

Nickv

I  went to a electronics place today about 10 min from my home and got a power adapter that matches the twin famicom exact except i think its .1 volt less. I also bought the end jack and im soldering it now. Hopefully it works

kite200

is it 100v though or 110 or 120, because 110 or 120 could hurt a jp appliance such as a game system
ステキ

madman

110 or 120 is only the input voltage and has absolutely nothing to do with the output voltage that will be fed into the Famicom. 

chimyfolkbutter

January 19, 2007, 04:58:56 pm #12 Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 05:05:35 pm by chimyfolkbutter
Quote from: kite200 on January 19, 2007, 12:46:52 pm
is it 100v though or 110 or 120, because 110 or 120 could hurt a jp appliance such as a game system

Technically, input voltages only matter depending on what country you are using the adapter.  Thus the requirement for step down transformers or in some cases, step up.  What one should be really interested in is the output voltage and the plug polarity.  Most of the game units have a voltage regulator embedded into the board.  Depending on the spec, the regulators can handle anything from 5 to 12v.   Anything above that and the regulator shuts down or starts to operate erratically and overheat.

The reason why game adapters are so large is because of the electronic components embedded into the adapter.  There is a rectifier (network of diodes) that convert the AC into DC.  The DC component is smoothed out and made linear by a capacitor. 

As I just recently discovered, the famicom wall units are not very stable in terms of maintaining voltage. 

chimyfolkbutter

Quote from: madman on January 18, 2007, 07:49:39 pm
The best thing I ever purchased was a Nakitech AC adapter many moons ago when Babbage's stores still existed here in the US.  It has I think a couple selectable voltages, selectable polarity and 4 different plugs on it.  I've never found a console that it won't power :)

The walmart adapter comes with 7-8 plugs where the user can change the tip polarity.  It is not bad for 12 bucks.  Plus it has 1.3 A of current which is really good.  It can even power game doctors, SNES. Super Famicoms, SEGA, NES TWINs, Famicoms basically anything. 

-CFB

madman

Well the AC adapters are large mostly because of the transformer used inside of them to step the voltage down.  Diodes simply chop off the negative part of the AC signal, since AC fluctuates between negative and positive voltage. 

That walmart adapter sounds good, I might need to pick one of those up.