Why Famicom instead of NES?

Started by Bergasa, January 25, 2007, 04:12:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc

Quote from: DevIancE on January 26, 2007, 12:28:44 pm
Quote from: FamicomJL on January 26, 2007, 05:21:25 am
Was Wrestlemania the one with the constipated Andre The Giant?

Indeed. I feel sorry for the people that forked out $49.99 for that PoS.

Like me. :(

I was such a huge wrestling fan then it's ridiculous. Wrestling sucks now.

Juggalo/Hulkamaniac

lol, I don't have much of a Famicom collection. I paid 2 bucks for my WWF Wrestlemania... thank God.
"My No. 1 band, Rush, never even split up. Greatness always stays together." - Matt Striker

featherplucknfilms

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the artwork yet. 

Originally I got into the Famicom after moving to Japan.  I had heard about Mario 2 J so I tried to find that, then discovering that you needed a whole additional system to play it with.  So I bought a Fami and a Disk System to play that.  It was all new and exciting, yet familiar and comfortable.  After checking out more stores I realized how many strange and wonderful treasures there were for the Famicom.  I definitely got addicted to the thrill of the hunt and finding some crazy accessory or game I had never heard of that was amazing. 

Now I've dedicated a lot of time to gaining knowledge about this system and collecting items but I feel once I leave Japan I won't keep up with it as much.  Deep in my heart I'm a nostalgic gamer and nothing can compare to playing games I enjoyed as a kid.  So I think once I get back to US I'll go back to primarily collecting NES items, however the one reason why I think the Famicom is superior is the artwork.  The NES has great games that weren't released for the Famicom and vice versa but the Famicom artwork can't be beat.  I never realized it before but now when I look at NES game boxes and posters I just can't help to feel disappointed in how tacky most of the artwork looks.  There is never a bad looking box in Japan!

So NES gets my vote for being home (plus I like to read the story and the manuals), but Famicom gets my aesthetic vote.  It's great to collect things that look good as well!

FamicomFreak

Quote from: featherplucknfilms on January 29, 2007, 07:50:52 pm
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the artwork yet. 

Originally I got into the Famicom after moving to Japan.  I had heard about Mario 2 J so I tried to find that, then discovering that you needed a whole additional system to play it with.  So I bought a Fami and a Disk System to play that.  It was all new and exciting, yet familiar and comfortable.  After checking out more stores I realized how many strange and wonderful treasures there were for the Famicom.  I definitely got addicted to the thrill of the hunt and finding some crazy accessory or game I had never heard of that was amazing. 

Now I've dedicated a lot of time to gaining knowledge about this system and collecting items but I feel once I leave Japan I won't keep up with it as much.  Deep in my heart I'm a nostalgic gamer and nothing can compare to playing games I enjoyed as a kid.  So I think once I get back to US I'll go back to primarily collecting NES items, however the one reason why I think the Famicom is superior is the artwork.  The NES has great games that weren't released for the Famicom and vice versa but the Famicom artwork can't be beat.  I never realized it before but now when I look at NES game boxes and posters I just can't help to feel disappointed in how tacky most of the artwork looks.  There is never a bad looking box in Japan!

So NES gets my vote for being home (plus I like to read the story and the manuals), but Famicom gets my aesthetic vote.  It's great to collect things that look good as well!

That is a nice way to look at famicom. I agree with you, the artwork is so awesome hmm I still don't know why the rockman games artwork were so disgusting (megaman 1) comparing to the famicom ones....Famicom gets my vote too I lived with it when I lived in Peru since we had a president that had a japanese family we were overwhelmed with japanese products not to mention the anime and kids show all straight from japan. Of course tons of pirated stuff were brought over as well and that was pretty much all you could find in the markets but famicom was known even more than the NES. I can say I lived with both systems during my childhood and I gotta admit they both have their ups and downs.
Retro Gaming Life  www.retrogaminglife.com

DevIancE

January 29, 2007, 10:55:51 pm #19 Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 11:02:49 pm by DevIancE
I never understood how Japan had this compact (for it's day) console, and we ended up with this VCRish big gray box which is mostly made up of wasted space, which in turn, made our cartridges about two times larger than Famicom carts, and they were made up mostly of plastic and air as well...   I still love the NES though. :-*

...  and yes, some of the art we had on our carts was horrendous (excluding most Konami games). Some of the Japanese box art / cartridge label art is so good, that I wish there was a collection of the originals available on the web somewhere. From what I've heard about alot of the original Akumajou Dracula art, alot of it was destroyed in some earthquake a while back, but I don't know if it was only Konami's art that was impacted, or all of the art for the Famicom Carts. It would be nice to have though, because alot of it would make some kick ass screen savers.

Jedi Master Baiter

I like how our MegaMan's were gradually getting better in box art & (in my opinion) eventually better than the Famicom counterparts.

I finally sent the cart out to you, Bergasa. I was going to do it earlier, but had the wrong bubble envelope - it was a bit too big.

manuel

I collect both... and apart from that much other stuff.

Why the Famicom?
It's already been said above.

1)The box art and cartridges' different colors make it interesting. Here in Europe (an d in the USA), the cart and box sizes were standardized. Almost all boxes are the same in size and most carts are grey. In Japan Famicom games come in different sized boxes, even the carts have different sizes and colors. It's so much more fun to collect those. ;D Some of the game boxes and carts look like "indie" releases (i.e. look like made by amateurs) and that's also what makes them interesting. It's fun to look at the boxart alone. Even if the game is crap, a good box makes me want to buy it.  ;)
2) Everybody seems now to be collecting NES. Only few people around here are into the Famicom. It's more "special" than the good old NES.
3) There are many more games to collect and play. How much were out in the US? Not even 700, right? In Japan there are over 1200. = More fun to collect.
4) I like the design of the Famicom more than that of the NES.
5) I like Japanese stuff by default. (I have Japanese Famicom, Japanese DS, Japanese computer, Japanese wife... :-*;D

Jedi Master Baiter