Famicom Disk Questions...

Started by DevIancE, January 26, 2007, 08:45:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DevIancE

So, I'm going thru this stack of games I got with my FDS, and labeling them, so I know what they are, and I've got this game called "Dogfight Spirit" made by Jaleco in '88. It's on an official blue Fami Disk, but the label on it reads "Cobra Command", and it had a  generic Cobra Command title card inserted in the case, but it's definetly NOT Cobra Command. It's also not listed on the site, so I was wondering if this game was ever officially released across seas, or if this is some kind of bootleg.

Also I have alot of different kinds of Fami Disk cases...  Some have "INTEND" engraved into them with an arrow that has "UP" engraved into it. Some just have the arrow, and some don't have anything engraved into them at all. Which one of these was the original cases made by Nintendo, if any?

I still have alot of Disk to go through, and I'm a Famicom newb, so I'm sure I'll be asking more questions soon...  I'll consalidate them all into this thread though, so don't hate me. :P

Doc

Quote from: DevIancE on January 26, 2007, 08:45:13 pm
Also I have alot of different kinds of Fami Disk cases...  Some have "INTEND" engraved into them with an arrow that has "UP" engraved into it. Some just have the arrow, and some don't have anything engraved into them at all. Which one of these was the original cases made by Nintendo, if any?

Those are pirated, I'm pretty sure. Got a picture?

kite200

Please take pics of your whole fami collection. Also, where'd you buy your lot of disks and stuff? the only ones that are official are ones that say NINTENDO on the engraved part
ステキ

DevIancE

January 26, 2007, 11:41:50 pm #3 Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 01:16:04 am by DevIancE

There are the cases, though the pic sucks...  I was refering to the clear cases, and not the disk casing. I should have worded it better. There are two with "Intend" on them, I just put one in the pic, because it has a disc (Double Dribble) that has "Intend" on the label and Disk-Kun where the "N" and "O' should be. Then there is a clear one (on the right), and one with just an arrow (on the left) above those two. I take it the Intend disks are also bootlegs?

The Blue disk I have with Dogfight Spirit by Jaleco is on one of those lovely N-I-N-I-E-N-D-O disk. I should have looked closer. I'm just not used to dealing with all of this pirated software. The game on it seems legit though, and there are a few listings for the game being an FDS game on a couple sites, but since it's on a pirated disk, I guess it would most likely be a bootleg of the Famicom title, with the wrong name on the title card.

I got two lots of Famicom shit from eBay. The Disk System was beyond repair in the first one, as I discover that someone had taken the motor apart that turns the belt, and the circut board inside was completely cracked in half, so I lucked up, and won the other one a few weeks later...   heres the listings.

1st Lot
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280061878448&rd=1&rd=1

2nd Lot
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=004&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=140073164061&rd=1&rd=1

I posted a pic of my Fami collection in the "Black Fami Disk" thread.

madman

$38 for that boxed one w/a Famicom is a great deal.

DevIancE

Yeah, I really lucked up on it. I can't get the Famicom working though. I think someone most likely tried to use an NES adapter with it, and fried it, and the rubber pad under the directional pad on controller 2 needs to be replaced. It really doesn't mater though, as I didn't really get it to play it anyway, it's mostly just an ornament.

Doc

Those two pictures are bootlegged/pirated stuff. The fact that you got WORKING pirated stuff is enough to celebrate, let alone the awesome deal in that auction. :D

And don't worry about the Famicom being fried, there's always others...even pirated ones, but they don't really work with the Disk System.

DevIancE

I'm not to worried about the Famicom, my AV Famicom works fine. I was pissed at the seller in the first auction though, as he said it "was working last time he checked it", but there is NOWAY it could have possibly worked. There were jumper wires saudered to the main circut board that were used to power up the system, and these weren't even connected, nor was the wiring harness to the disk drive. Atleast I got a  AV Fami, a box for the FDS, 38 games, and a boxed FDS adapter out of it. Plus the casing from the non-working one was in alot better shape, so I swapped it out for the other one that I won. I currently have the non-working FDS listed on eBay for parts, so hopefully I can make atleast $10 off of it... maybe.

So all "Intend" disks are pirates as well eh? I wasn't sure, as they highjacked the Disk-Kun mascot for use on the disks. I thought these might have been the type of disks Nintendo used at the writing booths. I guess the official clear cases Nintendo packaged with their disks are the ones with only the arrow that says "UP" on them then.

Also, is there a list compiled anywhere of the FDS games that only took up one side of a disk as opposed to both Side A and B? I know alot of the first party launch titles only required half a disc, but is there a complete list compiled somewhere? If not, I might try to work on one  myself someday. :P

kite200

I havent seen a list. Only a handfull of games took up only 1 side.

Games like tennis, mario 2, mario 1, etc.
ステキ

JC

That would be an awesome list to have. I've never seen one like it. Might be tough to do, unless you've got a nice sized disk collection.

DevIancE

madman

Quote from: DevIancE on January 27, 2007, 06:57:58 pm
So all "Intend" disks are pirates as well eh? I wasn't sure, as they highjacked the Disk-Kun mascot for use on the disks. I thought these might have been the type of disks Nintendo used at the writing booths. I guess the official clear cases Nintendo packaged with their disks are the ones with only the arrow that says "UP" on them then.

Anything that isn't a yellow or blue disc with NINTENDO stamped on the edge is a pirate. 

kukyi13

A blue disk card in the photograph is a disk card that the ハッカーインターナショナル hacker made without permission.

写真の青いディスクカードはハッカーインターナショナルというメーカーが勝手に作ったディスクカードです。

kite200

ハッカーインターナショナル= hacker international, for those who cant read japanese

oh and, こにちわくきぃーさま!
ステキ

DevIancE

Thanks for the info people. It's good to know these kinds of things so I can spot out the bootlegs / pirates before getting ripped off on eBay. It's seems like buying Fami Disks are about as bad as trying to buy Game Boy Advance games when it comes to bootlegs.