My Nintendo AV-Out Famicom Mod

Started by zmaster18, February 06, 2011, 06:32:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

zmaster18

I modded my Famicom with a Nintendo AV-Out connector, taken from a Gamecube. Yes, this is the same connector used on the SNES, N64, Gamecube, and I believe the AV Famicom.

The circuit had to be tweeked around, until I got 'perfect' picture. (I can draw a schematic later)

Now that it's all been built, I just need to mount it inside the case. The only problem is, the RF box is in the way. Is there some way I can remove it? I'd like the AV connector to go where the TV/GAME switch is.

Thanks in advance :)

Xious

You can replace the RF module if you hand-wire the 7805 (the voltage regulator) to the input jack, then  wire the unregulated power from the input jack, plus the 7805's +5V VCC line and ground (from either the 7085 or the power plug) to the logic board. Be sure to put the power switch in the circuit as well, if you want to ensure that it remains available. This will give you space to add the multi-out port.

The other lines on the logic board are Audio, Video and VCC out, which goes tot he RF modulator. Obviously, you don't need +5VDC to the RF box as it is no longer there, and you should tap your audio off that pin to ensure it is mixed with expansion sound. You can mount the multi-out port, the 7805, the power jack, and every part and connection for the A/V (or RGB; see below) mod on one piece of vero that is the same size as the spot where the original RF box sits. You can even rb the 7805 and the power connector right off of the RB board if you want, to save time and money. Just be sure to use the original heat-sink for the 7805, as it will potentially burn out without one.

Is this an NPN or PNP-based mod? Kyuusaku's PNPmod seems to be great, from all accounts; if it.s NPN, it might be interesting to see what you did differently. Do you have the vertical bars issue on your display? Did you isolate the video and ground signals from the PPU when making this, or leave them on the PCB? Those are the important questions that I'm sure will arise.

The major drawback to this is that you can only get that part by stealing it from other classic hardware, and then you'll need to mod the case even more than you would for RCA jacks; neither are ideal, as they destroy classic consoles. You also need a specialized set of cables. The main point of the multi-out jack was to offer both A/V and Composite, pus (on some systems) SCART, RGB and S-Video output, all using the same connector and one set of cables. This way, Nintendo both saved money when producing parts and required people 9and manufacturers) to use their special (and I believe patented) shaped connector.

You might want to consider going overboard and doing an RGB mod then adding the S-Video and RGB signal lines to the connector on top of composite: That way, you'd have a proper multi-out port and would be able to use all of the Super Famicom cables on it, plus the RF modulator adapter box.  You'll need an RP2C03B or RC2C05 (rare) PPU and an extra AMP board  to do the job, but it reek of awesomeness.

:bomb:

zmaster18

I think I used a PNP transistor. I followed a schematic I found here, and just changed out different resistors. There are no vertical bars, and there never were any when I was testing out different resistors.
I don't plan on doing any RGB mods. I also don't have a TV that supports S-Video, so I won't be doing that one either.

Could you tell me which places I have to solder the power input jack, Voltage regulator, and the board itself? I'm kind of a noob at modding :P