Artwork: Famicom vs. NES

Started by featherplucknfilms, February 02, 2007, 08:31:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

featherplucknfilms

So I put together a page of Famicom and NES box art side by side so you can see the differences easily.  Sorry the pictures are small so it makes it hard to see the finer detail which is so important in deciding what is good but I hope you can still see how lame Mega Man looks (haha sorry Jedi Quest), as well as Crash 'n the Boys.  The small pix also don't give justice to some games like Final Fantasy J, but either way, here ya go.

http://www.subphylumclothing.com/artcomparison.html

And after doing this I've taken back some of what I said about the NES stuff, I do like it!  But I don't like how sometimes they try to make it too "in your face" like Double Dragon 2 is basically the same but they have to add these words like "Awesome Arcade Action" "The raddest game ever to be made!!  Totally gnarly!"  Or whatever it says...

DevIancE

February 02, 2007, 08:59:36 pm #1 Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 02:45:22 am by DevIancE
In some cases I actually perfer the American art...  Like the Konami art work for Castlevania III, and Bayou Billy. I like the American Ghost n' Goblins, Shadowgate, Ikari Warriors 1-3, and that Wizards and Warriors box. The rest of them, you have to wonder why we even bothered trying to make new art work for them. I had forgotten how horrendous that Mega Man art was. Mega Man looks like this crack head I know. ...  and that Adventure Island III box is just... tragic.
... that car on the Japanese Rad Racer looks bas ass, and LoL @ that Japanese WCW box.

FamicomFreak

wow your right both american and japan releases have their ups and downs. I really liked the american bayou rather than the japanese and for the classic series games I do preffer the american boxes. Mario Brothers just gets some sort of magic when I look at that box but don't get me wrong the japanese mario brothers is fine as well.
Retro Gaming Life  www.retrogaminglife.com

featherplucknfilms

updated with more games, I'll keep working to get a many as I can.

Jedi Master Baiter

Are you talking about all the MegaMan games or just the first two?  I think 3, 5, & 6 are pretty good (especially 6).

I've always liked the US Double Dragon III box art - I even tried drawing it myself. ;D

I still want to see a good image of Raf World.

DevIancE

I'm talking about the original Mega Man box of course...  he looks like this lame waste of air that I know (minus that pimp ass suit) who, comes to my house at 3am trying to sell me random appliances, so he can score some shit.

super56k

Good Job.  It is interesting to see the differences. I still have to say that the box art for the USA version of Mega Man is awful.
I am currently working on a homepage...  details to follow.