Little mod I did to my Av Famicom

Started by Pikkon, November 22, 2011, 11:53:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pikkon

Well I wanted to add a led to my fami but I wanted to do something different,so after messing around for a few hours I ended up doing this.

All I did was add a bright red led under the case so the nintendo logo lights up red when the system is turned on.It took me a while to get the led positioned correctly but finally got it the way I wanted it,then used some tape and hot glue to secure it.

I think it looks pretty nice and a plus that I did not have to drill into the case. 8)

lobdale

Cool!  Mind posting how you did it/some instructions?

Sounds like a fun rainy day project, especially since you don't need to drill it.

Pikkon

Sure I can give some instructions,give me a day or two and I'll post pics on where to solder and what resisters I used and such.

jpx72

Nice! So the AV Famicom has the Nintendo logo transparent? I'm thinking to finally add a led to my normal Fami too cause I always leave it powered on. But I don't  know where should I put it  :D I think the best place would be in the power switch, in the part that becomes visible after switching it on, the part where the orange sticker is (should be).

Pikkon

Well its the case,when I had the case apart I picked up my led flash light and noticed that the light would emit through the case,so I figured lighting up the nintendo logo would be the best.

P

I had the same idea but with the old Famicom. I wanted to try adding a LED but I don't want to drill into the case. I haven't tried it yet though. I wonder if the light will emit through that case too.

Is it glued to the case or to the board?

Xious

For standard FC systems, I often place a red LED under the grilles, so that the illumination rises up out of them; you can add a refracting film to spread it if you want a fancy effect. :bomb:

jpx72

Quote from: Xious on November 23, 2011, 09:52:09 am
For standard FC systems, I often place a red LED under the grilles, so that the illumination rises up out of them;

I just wanted to say that this will be awesome! BTW what's a refracting film?

Xious

Also known as a light diffuser, it is a thin film, which can be polymer or paper-like material that spreads light from a single source (or multiple sources) over an area in a uniform manner. This is often coupled with a polarizing film for an enhanced effect.  Gameboy backlight kits use both a light spreader and a polarizing filtre: You fan source these materials from photography sources, or rip them from dead LCD panels and the like.

I wasn't able to see the image in the OP with my mobile. Very nice looking indeed: I think NCL probably had the notion to add illumination there, and then decided against it. Adding a polarizer+diffuser to that will reduce the amount of illumination slightly, and will spread it more evenly, so that it has less of a hot-spot.  :bomb:

Pikkon

Quote from: P on November 23, 2011, 09:26:19 am
I had the same idea but with the old Famicom. I wanted to try adding a LED but I don't want to drill into the case. I haven't tried it yet though. I wonder if the light will emit through that case too.

Is it glued to the case or to the board?

Its hot glued to the case,also if I get some more leds I can make it look a lot better than it does now.

Xious

If you want to improve it, I suggest getting the aforementioned spreader and polarizer, then adding one LED, so that you have on each side (by the 'N' and 'O'), about 4mm to 5mm from the aperture of that logo section, which will fitre the light evenly across it.  You can use simple gauze as an inexpensive alternative. :bomb:

BasiliskFang

133MHz

Awesome! (read in Bill Lumbergh's voice) I'd add some pieces of strategically cut & placed cardboard to prevent the light from spreading past the borders of the Nintendo logo, that'd be perfect. :bub:

Pikkon

Yea I do have a piece of cardboard under the led,its a pain in the ass to get it the way you want it and plus the led I used is real bright.

Xious

I suggest looking at how aftermarket backlight kits for original Gameboy and Gameboy Pocket systems are designed, as this is essentially a bigger version of what I would fit under that spot. Heavy black art board would block unwanted light seepage, as would something better; opaque silicone.  :bomb: