Multi Adapter AX-1

Started by UglyJoe, January 26, 2012, 07:38:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

UglyJoe

So I received my Multi Adapter AX-1 in the mail today.

That's all I got, no box or manual.  I figured it was a rapid-fire device with a bonus headphone jack.

I tested it out with King Kong 2.  The slow motion feature worked (NES Advantage style - rapid-fire start button), but not the rapid fire.  If I turned the "speed" knob the red LED on the device would blink faster/slower.  No matter what speed I used, it was clear that the rapid-fire wasn't working.  I tried all four "mode"/"play" switch combinations and all yielded the same results -- nada.

I thought that maybe King Kong 2 just didn't support external controllers/devices.  However, the slow-motion worked, so that couldn't be the issue.

I decided to try Quarth next, since it's a two-player game and it was sitting right next to my Famicom.  I started up a two-player co-op level and, hey, the turbo is working...but only for player 2.  I switched the mode/play switches around.  Still no turbo for player 1, but, hey, now when I hit the P2 buttons, it's hitting the same buttons for player 1!  Synchronized blocky ships!  I fiddled with the switches some more, but kept crashing into blocks before I could really figure out what this adapter was doing.

I needed a more peaceful 2-player game.  I flipped through a few stacks of games and decided on that historical Kunio-kun game.  Two player co-op and it starts you off in the middle of a town.  Perfect.  I resumed testing the mode/play differences, but still couldn't really figure out what was going on.  Am I player 2 now, or player 1, or both?  What if I press left on the P2 pad now...what, why is it pausing the game?!

Being the nerd that I am, I broke out a Google spreadsheet and mapped this thing out.  You can see the full spreadsheet here: http://goo.gl/ZHPts

My findings, in a nutshell:

• The device has no affect on the P1 controller.  The P1 controller functions exactly the same way regardless of any of the settings (with the exception of the slow-motion feature, I guess, since that is hitting start).

• The rapid-fire features only apply to the P2 A and B buttons.  Depending on the mode/play settings, these buttons may not perform their usual function.  However, whatever function they end up performing, that function will be performed in rapid-fire (if rapid-fire is turned on).

• Mode/Play combo 2,2 is essentially a "Player 2 with rapid-fire controls" mode.

• Mode/Play combo 2,1 is a sort of synchronized P1 and P2 mode.  Any input from the P2 controller is sent as input for both P1 and P2.  You can use this combo in a single player game to get rapid-fire controls, but you have to use the P2 controller.  What is also interesting about this combo is that, while the P2 controller is controlling P1 and P2, the P1 controller is still controlling P1.  This means you can do "impossible" inputs, such as pressing left and right at the same time.

• Mode/Play combo 1,1 is odd because P2 left and up control P1 start and select (respectively).  The only real usage for this mode that I can come up with is that it would allow you to press start and select on a FC that has a broken/missing P1 controller.

The headphone jack works, but has a pretty bad buzzing to it.  Once the volume is cranked up about half way you don't really notice the buzzing anymore, but I wouldn't depend on it for recording audio or anything.

This isn't a pass-through device.  It uses the expansion port and does not provide a way to daisy-chain another device like many other peripherals do.

The only branding I could find on this is the word "SPITAL" on the bottom.  I was able to find a low-res image of the back of its box (via assemblergames), although I can't make out any of it except for the スピタル (spital) brand at the bottom.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my findings.  Does anyone else have one of these things?  Anyone have a manual?

manuel

Hey, I got that too when I bought a big box of Famicom accessories.
Never got to try it yet... Maybe I should.

MWK

Now, I always wondered what this unique device does.
Thank you UglyJoe for illuminating me on this matter.

UglyJoe

You're welcome ;D

I took some pics of the insides.  Not a whole lot going on.  I tried to test the bunch of wires to make sure they're all still properly connected, but the probe on my multimeter is too wide to fit into the DB15.

ericj

Quote from: UglyJoe on January 30, 2012, 05:56:17 pmI tried to test the bunch of wires to make sure they're all still properly connected, but the probe on my multimeter is too wide to fit into the DB15.

I usually just wrap/twist a paper clip around the probe when it needs to fit into a small space. Works great to quickly test for continuity.  ;) Or you could insert a paper clip into the holes in the DA15 connector and test through it.

UglyJoe

January 30, 2012, 06:14:38 pm #5 Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 07:39:54 pm by UglyJoe
Thanks for the advice.  I actually tried that, but I only have large paperclips handy.  I'll hunt around a bit and see if I can find a small one somewhere.

Edit: Tiny paperclip did the trick!  All the wires appear to be properly connected.  Couldn't find anything out of the ordinary on the PCB.  I'm convinced I've got a working unit.  I just don't know what it's supposed to do :P

jpx72

Interesting device, and from the looks of the insides, it's not very complex at all. A couple more of the inside pictures and I would be able to make myself one of these :D but I don't really think I want to...
Is that an official product? Maybe it was meant to work only with some specific revision of Famicom or with the HongKong one...

Teancum

Just received one of these and google led me here.I actually have one in the full packaging and after looking at it I don't really see a manual. I'll have to inspect the packaging again it's very possible there is a folded up piece of paper under the controller.

UglyJoe

Sweet.  Can you scan the back of the box?  From the picture I saw, it looked there were instructions (or at least a list of features) on the back.

Teancum

Will scan it this weekend.

fredJ

The turbo works well in some games, such as Star Force, TwinBee and 1942. In TwinBee you can also make use of the synchronized playing.
Turbo doesn't work with some games, such as Track & Field II.
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com

Teancum

Remember when I said I would scan this? Well I finally did it's attached to this post as well as a scaled down one inside my post.

UglyJoe

garyptaszek

I love how many weird and wonderful add-ons are available for the Famicom  :D
"GameCentre CX Chief ON!"