thinking of buying a famicom

Started by snstay, February 12, 2012, 06:10:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

snstay

Hello all, first post of hopfully many. I am a long time nes owner, and am thinking of getting a famicom.
I figured this was the best place to talk about this.
now from what i know , im thinking of the av famicom due to the un-hardwired controller ports and av ports on the back.
Now with that being said on to my questions.

Can i use other nes hardware on it (zapper, power pad)
Can i put regular nes games in it maybe with an adapter or something.
I assume it will work on my t.v. am i corrsct in assumming that.
And you guys would know better than anyone what is the biggest differnces between the famicom and nes.

Thanks any info would be appreciated. I just want to get all my ducks in a row before i make my decision.

Scott

petik1

1. It will work with any TV that has Composite video and mono audio inputs.
2. For the Zapper to work, a small modification would need to be done (one resistor, I believe.)
3. NES games will work if you purchase an NES->FC adapter.
4. The Famicom has many more games, games with enhanced audio, no lock-out chip, and the ability to use the Famicom Disk System.

famifan

Quote from: petik1 on February 12, 2012, 08:14:38 am
4. The Famicom has many more games, games with enhanced audio, no lock-out chip, and the ability to use the Famicom Disk System.

double that!

also, some famicom games has some graphical improvements (e.g. Contra)

Parodius Duh

AV Famicom has a bit of trouble with pirate carts

lobdale

Quote from: Parodius Duh on February 14, 2012, 07:26:39 pm
AV Famicom has a bit of trouble with pirate carts

I have some pirate carts that run great on both, but usually when I have problems it's with my old Famicom running pirate carts, not the AV, which seems to eat anything I throw at it.

I guess the prevailing advice on pirates would be "some of them won't work on one or the other."

satoshi_matrix

I wrote a guide for people like you who are asking themselves if they should get a Famicom or if they want to get into NES gaming. The fact of the matter is there is no single answer that's best for everyone. It depends on your level of passion for the NES, your preferences, and your budget. Here's my guide.

http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/2011/04/06/nesfamicom-starting-guide/

I will say though that the strongest choices are either an AV Famicom, a modified RetroDuo or emulation.

nusilver

as a matter of fact, it was this guy's guide that steered me toward an av famicom. :)

Sajun

I'm looking to get one as well, and while the AV is definitely awesome, it's a bit out of my price range and honestly I just LOVE the way the original looks. I'd rather play my games on that. =)

And yeah there's the Tea4Two thing, but I dunno if I want that stamped on the front, and also I'm sure it's very pricy. =(

manuel

From the design standpoint, an old normal Famicom looks the best.
Although the Twin Famicom looks great, too.

Parodius Duh

Twin Famicom is where its at, Id get a Twin over an AV famicom, they cost close to the same amount.

petik1

Lucky me, senseiman basically gave me his turbo twin fami  :D

Shipping was a bitch, though  :-X

manuel