Bubble Bobble Poster

Started by JC, April 09, 2007, 09:09:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JC

April 09, 2007, 09:09:48 pm Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 08:55:33 pm by JC
I got a Bubble Bobble FDS promo poster from featherpluck. And I noticed screenshots on the back that show levels which don't appear in the game, to my recollection anyway. Thought I'd post some quick pics here. Maybe someone will recognize them from another version, like the arcade. This reminds me of the SMB3 NES box with the mystery screenshot of a level that doesn't appear in the game.

http://www.famicomworld.com/Oddities/Bubble_Bobble_Lost_Levels.htm

Jedi Master Baiter

You do know the deal about the SMB3 "freak" pictures, right?

Switchstance

maybe they are only promotional stuff. I don't know about what level of SMB3 are you talking about :(
Famicom lover

FamicomFreak

Quote from: Jedi QuestMaster on April 09, 2007, 10:13:15 pm
You do know the deal about the SMB3 "freak" pictures, right?

does it have something to do with world 9?
Retro Gaming Life  www.retrogaminglife.com

JC

From what I've heard, the SMB3 screens on the box are from levels that weren't used for the game but are accessible using the Game Genie and some strange codes. You can find more about it online. Some of those unused levels are really neat, if you can get them to work. Maybe Bubble Bobble's got some unintentionally hidden levels, too.

Switchstance

Quote from: JC on April 10, 2007, 04:04:14 pm
From what I've heard, the SMB3 screens on the box are from levels that weren't used for the game but are accessible using the Game Genie and some strange codes. You can find more about it online. Some of those unused levels are really neat, if you can get them to work. Maybe Bubble Bobble's got some unintentionally hidden levels, too.

If you're talking about those levels without end on SMB3 I never see the box of the SMB3 so I can't tell. About bubble bobble, using an editor of levels of Bubble Bobble I don't get any weird level.
Famicom lover

madman

Box art almost always uses pre-release versions of the game as the source for screenshots.  Usually developers are working on a game literally until the date it has to be sent to be manufactured. 

Jedi Master Baiter

Quote from: madman on April 10, 2007, 05:18:09 pm
Box art almost always uses pre-release versions of the game as the source for screenshots.  Usually developers are working on a game literally until the date it has to be sent to be manufactured. 

The SMB3 box is even stranger than that; there are two variants to the boxes (as well as the game itself) & if you got the first release, you got the box with the more correct screenshots.  The later release had the "deformed" pictures. :P

Look here: http://www.themushroomkingdom.net/lostbytes.shtml

madman

I'd have to dig through my NES crap at my parents house, but I definitely got SMB3 right when it was released.  I probably have the first rev.

JC

From the box images at TMK, the box with the messed up screens is the somewhat hard-to-find Challenge Set SMB3.

I wonder if there are more instances of this on posters and boxes.

Switchstance

I should ask Deezer or Lizard_Dude
Famicom lover

Jedi Master Baiter

An easy way to tell which version of SMB3 you have is by looking at the "Bros." in the SMB3 title. ;)

Har the cat

Nice poster!!
I ve got it for the sega mastersystem. Have seen it once for the Pal nes but it was not worth it.
15Euro cart only. And the sega version was 20 complete. Bubblen and bobblen rocks :D
Intergalactic cat says: Is this planet Earth?

Har the cat

The lost levels are according to me  secret levels. The sega mastersystem version has 200 levels inc secret levels...
Intergalactic cat says: Is this planet Earth?

JC

The NES and Famicom versions have 200+ levels because of Super Bubble Bobble mode and the extra levels from obtaining the spaceship on 99. But these levels from the poster aren't secret...because they aren't any of those 200+ levels. They are lost and haven't been found. Perhaps never will, if they were removed. But it could turn out these are from another console's version of the game, or maybe arcade.